PDA

View Full Version : Sponge on Flame Scallop?

boomsticks
10/12/2006, 09:45 AM
Couple days ago I have noticed a pinkish growth on the topside of the Flame Scallop or file clam whichever...It is most definatly a sponge just looking at the structure and the holes looks to be some type of encrusting sponge...too small to tell as of yet though. It appears the thickest near the tentecles and is slowly spreading towards the back of the shell. I have had the scallop for about 7 months now never noticed anything like this before though. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar thing like this happen.

Thanks! Mike:p

boomsticks
10/16/2006, 10:10 AM
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Drewcipher
10/16/2006, 10:32 AM
Well, I like sponges growing, but, it is a filter feeder as is the scallop, and it is not known exactly why scallops fair poorly in aquariums, starvation is widely assumed. If this were true, I wouldn't want it to compete with anything. On the other hand, scallops rarely pass 1 year in the aquarium before dying, so I don't know if it will matter. Not alot is known about them in the wild, but their lifespan is probably in the 3-4 year range in the wild. If we are pulling them out at 2-3 years old, that would explain it.

racrumrine
10/16/2006, 10:44 AM
Since they are both filter feeders, the fact that the sponge is growing and you haven't killed the flame scallop means that you have a nutrient rich tank that they like.

I would continue to monitor; but, not mess with it. If it looks like the sponge is interfering with the scallop, then you can consider taking further action.

Best of luck,

Roy

boomsticks
10/18/2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks for your responses. It doesn't appear to be "messing"
with the scallop at all. Has grown quite a bit though well thicker anyway surface area is the same. I am just afraid that it will encroach on the birdsnest frag just above the scallop....it appears not to like the light though 150watt 14k MH....maybe it will hinder or stop its growth? I'll just watch it for now.