PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on 3 new frags

matthewdmueller
10/10/2006, 11:03 AM
Well, I decided to jump on in and get some new frags for my tank. I got a great deal on ebay, got to love those late night closers. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on any of the frags that I bought. I picked up:

green acropora

yellow plantaginea acropora

and a green w/ white eye zoo

any recommendations would be great if you have any. Also my dKH is still kind of high, I can't figure out why. I've done lots of water changes with RO/DI and I have stopped useing all suplements for the past couple of weeks and I just can't seem to get it to go down. I was hopeing that it would just kind of go down on its own but it just stays where it is. I've tested my RO/DI and all of my other tanks and they are all fine and use the same water and salt and everything else. Just weird maybe, who know, maybe someone in this forum will. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

MimicTang
10/10/2006, 11:33 AM
Heavy Flow and high light

matthewdmueller
10/10/2006, 12:39 PM
Check...and Check! Sounds like I am good to go! Thanks for advice!

Shooter7
10/10/2006, 12:42 PM
Very stable water parameters. No large swings in temp or pH. Reduced nitrates and phosphates to almost nothing. Calcium and magnesium levels maintained. Stable alk.

matthewdmueller
10/10/2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, what about my dKH its kind of high and I have been trying to get it down with water changes and eliminating all of additives, but no dice its still high. If it just stays like that will these frags be OK as long as there is no dirastic change in the dKH or will adding these help in the softening of the water?

Shooter7
10/10/2006, 03:21 PM
Enjoy. :cool:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

empireinc00
10/10/2006, 03:37 PM
when u say it's high .. what is the level of dKH & Calcium?

theatrus
10/10/2006, 03:44 PM
Depending on their coloration, I tend to start all new SPS frags on the sandbed (not in the sand though), and then move them slowly up and see how they respond. You should be seeing some good polyp extension and color if the coral is happy. Too high of nitrates and phosphates leads to browning and very slow growth.

matthewdmueller
10/10/2006, 06:28 PM
My calcium stays in the 400-450 range and as far as dKH I don't know the number because my tests just go by color. The LFS was saying that it was super super high, he stoped the test because he felt he was just wasteing drops. That was about a month ago and I have changed out at least 150gal of water since then. According to my tests its lower than it was but I couldn't give you a number.

matthewdmueller
10/11/2006, 04:33 PM
bump

theatrus
10/11/2006, 06:39 PM
Any nitrate numbers? Monitoring alkalinity and keeping it balanced with calcium is very important as well.

troybob333
10/11/2006, 06:57 PM
I'd get a salifert KH test kit, very accurate. I don't always trust LFS employees to do the tests right.

matthewdmueller
10/12/2006, 09:07 AM
As far as numbes go I am all oppm for nitrate nitrite and ammonia. I read the link that shooter7 gave me and it was very informative. The article said that I should just monitor the levels and it should go down on its own but I would think that the dKH would have by now. Anyway I guess I will just ahve to wait and see. I got my frags in the mail yesterday and the green acro is already opening up and it looks good, the zoos are open close open close and the yellow plantagia is still buttoned up but I think that everything is going to be fine. Thanks for the recommendations