PDA

View Full Version : horse conch

humbugy
10/10/2006, 01:04 AM
what would be good to feed this little new buddy of mine?

Lev F.
10/10/2006, 06:22 AM
Chunks of fish or shrimp would do nicely. Is he in your Reef? If so, He will eat your snails, your hermit crabs, your slow-moving fishes, and anything else he can get into. They get about 2 Feet in length as well.
Good Luck!

DonavonsReef
10/10/2006, 10:25 PM
Congrats you have the State shell of Florida! Oh and also congrats your little buddie eats other snail & is probably chowing down on some turbos right now.

humbugy
10/11/2006, 11:38 AM
to quick to judge ;) :)
he is in a 10g with a aquaclear 110 and some liverock, the idea was to raise him as my own.....found him as a hitch hiker underneath some liverock
i put some black pacific snails in there for food, there coldwater and is not gonna last anyway, and he seems to eating some pellet food right now.

DonavonsReef
10/11/2006, 11:47 AM
Does it have Orange flesh & an Orange shell?

humbugy
10/12/2006, 09:17 PM
the flesh is orange, and the shell is a orange/yellow hue

hrdneglcry
10/21/2006, 09:22 AM
I own a 6" Horse Conch. I also own some Hermit Crabs that are the size of tennis balls. The Red Hermit Crabs have tried to eat the Horse Conch, but were unsuccessful. My Conch likes to stay on the glass. I had been thinking about attaching Zucchini to the glass for him to eat, but now I am reading that Horse Conch's are carnivores.
Do they eat plant material at all? He is not going to eat my large Hermit Crabs yet I think. I mean they try to eat him. They want his shell.

DonavonsReef
10/21/2006, 09:50 AM
If you have no other snail in your tank your conch is starving yo death. This is a carnivoris snail & only eats other snails.

hrdneglcry
10/21/2006, 11:11 AM
May I get Calamari in chunks, and attach it to the glass near the Conch? Might he eat that? I just bought some snails, but I'd still like to know about the Calamari idea.