PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my sea urchin?

czieler
10/09/2006, 06:56 PM
I have a small sea urchin..looks pretty much like this:
http://www.m-rep.com/2a.gif

It came in my live rock 1.5 yrs ago..and has been in the same hole the entire time.

This morning I turn my tank lights on..and he is on the glass near the top of the water in the corner....

Did he just outgrow his hole? Or does this usually mean something is wrong?

czieler
10/09/2006, 07:20 PM
Oh...one thing to note..my lights were out for a day and a half..cuz I had to take them back up to the LFS...having ballast issues ..they keep randomly shutting off...wasn't sure if this had anything to do w/ why he came out?

lux_06
10/10/2006, 06:44 AM
yeh ive got a long spine that would only come out at night and wonder the tank looking for a feed, then during the day its back in its cave. maybe its been out crusing the tank every night for a year and a half and then leaving the lights off it thought it was still night and u caught him!!!

Kgoarmy17
10/10/2006, 10:51 AM
My urchins stay in the rocks during the day but at night they take over the tank, cruise the walls, enjoy the space.

ophiuroid
10/11/2006, 08:55 PM
Probably the strange lighting cycle threw it off. They are nocturnal, and as you noted they do return to basically the same location. But if the lighting cycle is no longer exact, then it may get confused if you will.