PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crabs (gone bad?)

Xsavior
10/07/2006, 08:31 PM
Hi all,
I was thinking about getting an emerald crab for a 14gal nano tank, as the LFS just got in a shipment of babies, and we have a very small (as of now) amount of bubble algae. I've read in some places that they are great but they can turn aggressavie later on, i was wondering what peoples' success rates were?
The plans are to get another, larger tank wintin a year as well, so he could be moved out when it gets too big, is it even worth it for now?

Thanks!

bugguy
10/07/2006, 09:11 PM
Sure, why not? Great cleaners and nice to watch. I think each has there own temperment. And if you are going to move them anyways, the will just grab a rock and move or just pic it up. I never had problems with mine. 1 male and 2 females.

jake levi
10/08/2006, 06:18 AM
ALL crabs are omnivores, bar none.

They like salad and also normally eat ala carte.

Lot of disinformation about hermits especially as being 'reef safe' but, they are browsers of opportunity, emerald crabs likewise.

Fiore
10/08/2006, 11:34 PM
We got an Emerald crab about 4 months in (a new reef tank) and he was a cool little guy until he started chopping our zoos like my mom used to do with summer flowers outside our house. Not unlike my mom, we got rid of the pest in a shallow grave. Just kidding. About the crab, at least. But we did have to take him to the fish pound.

PowderBlue518
10/09/2006, 02:20 PM
I have an emerald Crab and hes the coolest little guy, not a problem at all from him.. not yet, hes been in the tank for about 6 months, hes gotten a little bigger, but he does great with the hair algea that comes about. No complaints yet..