PDA

View Full Version : First post - I'd like to add a sump.....?

Steadyhand
10/07/2006, 08:20 PM
I've been an avid reader here since my wife and I began our hobby as SW aquarium owners - one year ago!

I'd love to provide advice based on our "hard knocks" experience (we've spent a king's ransom); however, for my first post - I have a sincere thank you to all of you and a request:

We have a 50g (36/18/18) w/o bulkheads- it's one year old with 50lbs of wonderful LR and a fine sand bed - 5 really cute fishes too.

I have a Deltec 600mce HOB skimmer, two Coralife HOB 150w MH single fixtures, a particulate filter (HOB), and a UV light (HOB)-

I'd like to add a sump in the tank stand and move all but the lights (including the heater) to the sump -

I need advice on where to purchase a good sump and overflow kit, please. Additionally, please provide advice on a nice pump and a prefab plumbing kit. I need to do this with a budget of ~$600.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice -

Rich and Christine

StreetUrchin
10/08/2006, 07:09 PM
Hey just wanted to acknowledge that someone out here actually read your post! I posted my own first topic looking for advice with no replies either, consider this a free bump!

Where are the helpful veteran posters?

Anyone?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=945041

bklynmet
10/08/2006, 07:20 PM
I have a Lifereef overflow and sump. Jeff at Lifereef does great quality work IMO. But don't go soley on my suggestion. Researching is part of the fun.

sjm817
10/08/2006, 07:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8301630#post8301630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bklynmet
I have a Lifereef overflow and sump. Jeff at Lifereef does great quality work IMO. But don't go soley on my suggestion. Researching is part of the fun.
Sounds like good advice to me!

dflint
10/08/2006, 08:24 PM
AGA sells an overflow kit (megaflow it's called), you would have to have your tank drilled to use it. which means emptying it.

you can go with an external overflow, but you're just asking for a flooded floor, don't ask me how I know....

sumps can be just a glass tank with baffles siliconed in. that's the cheapest route to go.

Criminal#58369
10/08/2006, 08:41 PM
You can get a 20 gal tank, an external overflow box, 2 hoses, a return pump maybe a filter sock/w holder so it will keep the hose that runs to the sump in and keep the tank clean, i say you could do it for $225 or so.

Steadyhand
10/09/2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks folks -

I'm a little hesitant to use an external overflow - but I think it would help by providing a space for equipment and possibly a refugium (so I can limit bad algae growth).

The next question is: Do external overflows (lifereef and others) have a bad track record? Are they worth it - or should I wait a couple of years and purchase an overflow tank new?? - which means I will not have a sump with this 50g......

Thanks,

Rich

sjm817
10/09/2006, 10:21 AM
Lifereef does not have a bad track record. Just the opposite. They are the best, most reliable HOB overflow you can buy. There are others that are good, many that are not.

If you go with Lifereef, you wont have an issue.

yetti
10/09/2006, 10:49 AM
I have 3 external overflows and have never had a problem. One of the best I've seen is the CRPAquatic line of overflows because they have the Aqualifter. It's really nice after you've been dealing with U-tubes for the past year or so.

I think your best option is an overflow, 20g tank and a return pump. Really pretty simple to hook up and a lot of the items you can find on here where people are looking to get rid of them. The hardest part will be planning the plumbing layout.

If you go that route then one thing that I recommend is to get a pump that has a slightly smaller gph rating than your overflow and plumbing. You want to make sure the overflow can handle the amount of water that your pump is pushing into the tank so you don't get a water disaster. There are ways around it with plumbing but much easier if you plan for it ahead of time.

sjm817
10/09/2006, 11:01 AM
I would strongly disagree about the CPR overflows. The fact that they can not maintain a siphon on their own and require a vacuum pump to do so says a lot. The design is not as reliable as a quality U Tube unit such as the Lifereef. The Lifereef needs nothing added for it to function. Just the laws of physics. They are also a real pain to clean since they can not be taken apart.

Steadyhand
10/09/2006, 11:23 AM
I'm sold on the Lifereef overflow with a prefab sump (Lifereef, Precision Marine, or AGA) -

Is there a source for help on the pumbing design? I'd be remiss to not ask for a prefabricated plumbing kit?? Does one exist? I'm considering an Aquabee 2000/1 pump (or similar) for return.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

hansmatt
10/09/2006, 11:42 AM
I'm in the process of doing the same...adding sump to existing 90 reef. Don't want to go through drilling, so ordered lifereef overflow after reading dozens of suggestions, evaluations, and sob stories about flooding..don't want to go there. I'm picking up a 40g acrilic (used), but considered a 30 long tank, and will add baffles to fit a new larger in-sump skimmer. I'll also add an area for a refugium & grow some macro-algae to keep down some nitrates & phosphates. Melvsreef (search here or google) has a ton of info on design, flow, advantages to sumps etc. Jeff @ lifereef is also very helpful, and I hope his product lives up to the lofty recommendations that EVERY person has given.
You could go the quick & dirty route & use a rubbermaid tub, but I personally don't want a flexible tub in the living room for the same reason I don't want a cheap overflow.
Matt

rhdoug
10/09/2006, 12:16 PM
I have a LifeReef sump which I am currently not using. I used it for 6 yrs and it worked just fine on my 58 gal reef. I replaced it with a larger sump earlier this year. It is in excellent shape. If you are interested in it feel free to pm me.

sjm817
10/09/2006, 12:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8305043#post8305043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steadyhand
I'm sold on the Lifereef overflow with a prefab sump (Lifereef, Precision Marine, or AGA) -

Is there a source for help on the pumbing design? I'd be remiss to not ask for a prefabricated plumbing kit?? Does one exist? I'm considering an Aquabee 2000/1 pump (or similar) for return.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
The Aquabee 2000/1 pump as I know it is a needlewheel skimmer pump. Maybe they have a non NW version, but I haven't seen one. If you are inexperienced with plumbing, I would try and find a friend that is. If not, you can use hose barbs and vinyl tubing and some clamps. That is about as easy as it gets.

Beach Native
10/09/2006, 03:07 PM
I ran my un-drilled 110 for a couple of years without a sump. I now run an un-drilled 110 with a sump. I simply added the overflow and set up the refuge and sump on my own.

I can’t second the pro Lifereef u-tube overflow opinion enough. I have been running mine for about 5 years now without a single problem. The idea of being dependent on another piece of equipment to keep mine flowing was frightening. Mine has never lost flow under any conditions.

I rounded up an acrylic tank for my refuge and feed that through an existing 12 gallon glass that I use as my sump. While there are a lot of pre-fab options, setting up your own is pretty easy.

With an existing acrylic you can drill it and baffle it in any configuration you desire. There are plenty of ideas to be found on this web page as to configurations. As with any other concern, you want to measure, plan and test, before committing.

Make sure that your sump will hold all of your overflow if the return stops pumping.

Steadyhand
10/09/2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the reassurance folks - I certainly do appreciate it and I'm looking forward to the project more now.

Rhdoug - I'll pm you soon concerning your sump, thanks.

On return pumps - my budget is ~$125 - I'm looking for a small and efficient pump with a good reputation. Is there one with an output I can adjust? Do I need an adjustable pump?

Thanks,

Rich

sjm817
10/09/2006, 04:07 PM
For a 50G, I'd say an Eheim 1250 for the return pump.

bklynmet
10/09/2006, 05:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8304614#post8304614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
Lifereef does not have a bad track record. Just the opposite. They are the best, most reliable HOB overflow you can buy. There are others that are good, many that are not.

If you go with Lifereef, you wont have an issue.

No problems in over two years of usage. Go with a spare siphon tube so you can change them out for cleaning - though starting the siphon is always fun:). I believe Jeff now sells a coated siphone tube so algae doesn't grow in there as quickly.

bklynmet
10/09/2006, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8307012#post8307012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
For a 50G, I'd say an Eheim 1250 for the return pump.

Or go with a slightly larger pump so you can tee it off to feed the manifold of filter cycliders that are easily organized in a Life Reef sump. Do not want to bomabard you with too much. The filter cylinder braket that is in his sump is one of the things I like about it. Filter cylinders are now handy in the sense I can have Phosban in one and carbon another and they're all organized nicely IMO.

Steadyhand
10/09/2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks - Phosphorus is a major factor I considered when I set my mind to install a sump - my UV and Skimmer can both be set up in the sump.........sooooo - sump it is!

I'd like to use Rowaphos from Deltec - the LR phos cylinder seems great, so I'll likely buy that one.

Rich