PDA

View Full Version : 180G 1/8" out of level. Fix it?

sjm817
10/07/2006, 03:54 PM
Just put water in the 180G for the first time to leak test the plumbing setup (it passed).

I noticed the tank is ~ 1/8" out of level along the 6' length. Doesnt seem like much, but it is there. I have dual corner overflows and I can see the difference in height.

Craig Lambert
10/07/2006, 04:05 PM
1/8" should be fine. If you want to do a quick fix you could pick up a 1/8" thick piece of wood or peg-board at home depot, and cut it to size to fit under the low end of the stand.

Shiandy
10/07/2006, 04:07 PM
I would fix it, its only gonna bother u all time. It would me ;)

jasert39
10/07/2006, 04:07 PM
i wouldnt worry about it.

poppin_fresh
10/07/2006, 04:22 PM
The problem is that you cant simply shim one side of the tank. You will have to shim the whole stand to make sure the bottom remains flat. Any tilting or leaning will cause excess strain on the seams. It probably wont fail tomorrow... but eventually...

Craig Lambert
10/07/2006, 04:33 PM
You can shim 1/8" without a problem......

jag1979
10/07/2006, 05:27 PM
In my 180 the water level is off just under 1/2" from one side to the other (6 feet). I talked to the lfs and he showed me several tanks that had about the same, they have been running for many years (one was a 500 gallon tank!). I got the impression that it was a preference thing rather then a tank explosion problem.

The difference doesn't bother me, at least in appearance, unless it blows my tank that is!

Comments?

sjm817
10/07/2006, 05:43 PM
I would definitely fix 1/2". I'm on the fence about the 1/8"

I was also on the fence about bracing the floor. The tank sits against an exterior wall, perpendicular to the floor joists. The tank sits on 5 joists and they are 2x10s 16" on center, 15' span. I talked to a good friend of mine who builds houses. He said there would not be a problem and I could check for deflection of the floor. I hung a plumb line in the middle of the basement on the center joist that the tank sits on. Filled it up and it didn't deflect even slightly.

I was thinking if I wanted to fix the 1/8" issue, maybe I could put a beam under the joists just in front of where the tank sits. Use a couple of jack posts and tweak up that side of the floor 1/8". I have a basement sump on a bench under the tank. The posts would be kind of in the way, which makes me not want to do it.

ambaratur
10/07/2006, 06:10 PM
My tank is a 125 and is also 1/8 inch out of level.

With the system running the water level is still above the trim of the tank and it is not possible to even see the difference. I felt that the stand was structuraly more sound if it was unshimmed.

I however am on a concrete floor so can not lift from below of course.

jag1979
10/07/2006, 06:54 PM
I am on a concrete floor too; and didn't want to shim b/c I thought that would do more damage to the stand and/or tank than the 1/2" over 6 feet. Not good at math but I think thats only like a 1 degree slope. I don't notice the difference b/c of the trim too. So I figure I would just go w/ it and try not to worry about it...that is unless I should! Anyone out there actually had a tank break or leak b/c it was out of level?

nosferatu51
10/07/2006, 10:34 PM
You could always just get some cheap styrofoam sheets at Home Depot or something and put those under it, For something that small, that may be all you need.