PDA

View Full Version : can't stand it anymore, starting a saltwater!!

sinful
10/06/2006, 05:31 PM
I'm going to buy a nano this weekend and start it up cycling. I was just at the lfs and bought some sand and salt so now I'm just waiting on the tank! I'll be looking for LR to if anyone has any for sale, tank will only be a 12g so I'll need what? 10-15lbs? Anyway, what should I start off with once it's cycled? I would really like an anemone but I hear they aren't to good for nano's or reefs? I'm basically an entire noob so keep your suggestions simple for me please..haha. Also, the nano will have 48wat lighting, with moonlights and a skimmer(jermz's old one). I'm basically looking to keep a clown or two, a couple corals and some crabs, hermits and what not...let me know what you guys suggest!

alizarin
10/06/2006, 06:28 PM
That sounds like a good amount of live rock for the tank. I had a 15 gallon nano with a 15 gallon sump/refugium for a couple years and enjoyed it quite a bit. I think you'll be happy with ocellaris or percula clowns for that size tank. They're interesting to watch and they're happy in smaller tanks since they tend not to leave their home spot too much. I definitely wouldn't try an anenome to start out though - they're usually difficult to keep - here's a thread at nano-reef.com (very good site for nanos)- http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98606&hl=anemone
... plus clowns don't necesarily host in an anenome if you have one.

sinful
10/06/2006, 07:07 PM
what exactly does hosting mean? just that the clown chills out in the enemone?

alizarin
10/07/2006, 06:59 AM
Yep. Clowns tend to find a spot or two they like and hover around it more often than not. In nature it would be in an anenome. With my Ocellaris clown it's usually just wherever the currents feel right to him. Some people have good luck with larger soft corals that somewhat resemble an anenome like a big toadstool. I have a big hammer coral that looks anenome like but my clown prefers the rocks.