PDA

View Full Version : Ph is always low..7.4 today! How can I always raise it?

courtneyclv
10/06/2006, 03:36 PM
Tested my water today and PH is low. It sometimes comes in at 8.2, but is anywhere between 7.4 and 8.0 usually.

Added a buffer today to raise it to the exact amount, but that caused a snow storm!

What can I do to always make it a bit higher...keep my lid open for more circulation?

How low is low enough that my inverts will die?

bertoni
10/06/2006, 03:43 PM
I don't think that pH test result is correct. How are you measuring it?

This article discusses low pH problems:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

What is the alkalinity level for the tank?

sir_dudeguy
10/06/2006, 03:59 PM
thats a very large pH swing, so like bertoni said...i doubt that whatever you're using to test it is very accurate.

Do you have a glass or plastic top over the tank? Do you have a powerhead pushing water across the very top creating surface agitation? What salt are you using? do you ever open a window in the room where the tank is?

Take a glass of tankwater and take it outside and put an airstone/bubbler in it and let that run for a few hours. Then test again, and if its higher than what it was in the tank, then you've got an indoor co2 problem

courtneyclv
10/06/2006, 04:15 PM
I have a glass top covering the lid. I have my canister filter head on one side and a seperate powerhead on another. I have a lot of movement on the top of the water.

It doesnt swing that much...it will take time to do..not overnight or anything.

I get RODI water from the LFS. I use the saltwater master test kit. My ph is usually 8.0..never this low though! Did a PWC of 20 gallons about 5 days ago.

The tank is in a window cubby thing in a very bright and open living room. The door is always open here and there to let the doggies outside.

My temp is always around 80-81.

sir_dudeguy
10/06/2006, 04:28 PM
I use the saltwater master test kit
what brand? I've seen about 8 different "master test kits" lol.

I have a glass top covering the lid.
that could be part of the problem. They dont allow for gas exchange, which is part of what will bring your pH up. Take the glass lid off and see what happens. That combined with surface agitation should bring it up.

showtime305
10/06/2006, 05:12 PM
Maybe you should take your water to a LFS to get tested. Have them test everything for you.

corals b 4 bills
10/06/2006, 05:57 PM
Where did you get your live rock? I've heard stories about someone getting a piece of coraline encrusted concrete, or a mushroom rock with man made materials. Look into everything.

bertoni
10/06/2006, 07:19 PM
I'm skeptical that the pH is really 7.4, unless the alkalinity level is very, very low. A meter is more robust for measuring pH, if you can swing one.

I agree that removing the glass top is likely to help for a low pH problem, if the tank really has an issue. The point about artificial live rock is a good one, too.

courtneyclv
10/06/2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I defininatly think that the lid being closed is the problem. When I did my PWC I filled up to the top of the tank. For the last month I have had about 3 inches of empty space between the water line and the lid...now, there is no space.

Is it ok to use the buffers? I dont know the exact brand I use..but it says 8.2 big on the red bottle.

bertoni
10/06/2006, 10:12 PM
pH buffer cause problems. I'd suggest avoiding them. You need an alkalinity test kit before you do much else.

drummereef
10/07/2006, 12:55 AM
I would second the notion to take the water to your LFS for testing. Then get a pH meter if you want accurate pH testing. I'd highly recommend testing the alk with a good test kit like Salifert, before adding anything to the tank. Let us know the proper test results then we'll know how to properly diagnose the issue.

sir_dudeguy
10/07/2006, 07:59 AM
ya i also dont like adding buffers...you often have to keep adding them (and buying them) where for me, its always been better to just get good gas exchange...always been free for me, as far as i know ;)

Holmie_D_Klown
10/07/2006, 01:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8290198#post8290198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sir_dudeguy

Take a glass of tankwater and take it outside and put an airstone/bubbler in it and let that run for a few hours. Then test again, and if its higher than what it was in the tank, then you've got an indoor co2 problem

I would do this first. It is likely a CO2 issue and this would be an easy way to make sure it is.