PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question...

Aristotle
10/06/2006, 12:35 AM
So I'm still very new to the concept of reefing. All of my research to date has been about species compatibility, biotopes, and things involving life inside the tank. I'm oblivious to plumbing and electricity.

I'm about to sign the contract for a new house. I plan on diving into the hobby sometime after moving in. I know where I want to put my tank(s). It's pretty far off from any other "wet" areas so any kind of special plumbing is out of the question. I'll have an RO filter installed in the kitchen, or on a utility sink in the garrage area later on, for water.

I've heard of folks doing some electrical stuff in their fish room to support all of the equipment. Is it a matter of having an additional circuit run to the wall? Is it some sort of dedicated circuit? I need to know what to ask the contractor for when we sit down with him.

I'm currently looking to run two gfci outlets to that wall. The plan is to eventually have a system somewhere between 100 and 200 gallons in total volume.

Cuby2k
10/06/2006, 01:25 AM
I used (2) 20 amp dedicated circuits for my tanks. I run heaters, (future) chiller, 4 pumps (no power heads), 1500 watts lighting, 2 reactors and pumps and some controls. It seems to handle the load fine.

I did not opt for GFCI breakers because I was afraid of the possibility of nuisance trips while I was not at home. However after sticking my hand into my sump to adjust the underwater heaters I am starting to rethink that.

Do a search on electrical and power centers here and you'll get TONs of response.

Good luck!

theatrus
10/06/2006, 01:25 AM
I'd see about running a dedicated 20amp circuit to your equipment area. If you're getting your house built, it should be comparatively cheap to run an additional circuit (might as well run one for a hot tub too ;))

serpentman
10/06/2006, 07:59 AM
I agree with Cuby, I would run at least 2 dedicated 20A circuits. Even if its not needed now, it will leave you options for expansion, etc. Also, I would make sure each circuit is wired with a GFI.

By wiring 2 circuits, you not only give yourself power potential, you can split things accordingly. I like to have circulation pumps on both circuits. That way, it one trips, I don't lose circulation in the tank.

techreef
10/06/2006, 08:23 AM
serpentman is spot on. you have a great opportunity to make your reefing experience easier, by planning in a more than adequate electrical supply. if you add all your planned electrical equipment up and figure you can do w/ one circuit, double that estimate and install two. Use GFCI's, they can save your life. As things change with your tank you will most likely purchase other electrical doohickeys, like fans to cool the water temp, auto feeders, etc. Not having enough electricity, or continually tripping a GFCI due to too much of a power load, stinks. Alot. The cost of running those two power lines is next to nothing. To me it is totally worth it. Good luck!

Aristotle
10/06/2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all of the great replies!

So wha I am hearing is that two dedicated 20A circuits running to a pair of GFCI outlets should be more than sufficient for an average system with some growth potential. Got it.

I will do some additional research, but the meeting is today so I needed something to give the contractor today.

We had two floor plans to choose from. The one we are getting is great, but the other one would have allowed me the perfect opportunity to have an in wall setup with a fish room (with water access) behind it. That was a little more than the significant other was willing to allow for though, seeing as I haven't started reefing yet.