PDA

View Full Version : overflow question

jett06
10/05/2006, 10:55 PM
ok i just bought a u tube style overflow i just wanted to know how do i get the siphon started trying to figure it out any help would be greatly appreciated thanks everybody

bheron
10/05/2006, 10:57 PM
the easiest way is to stick some clear airline tubing up it - about halfway, at least to the top of the U. then, suck it like a siphon and you'll see it starts the u-tube siphon. kind of a gross way to do it, and there are others ive heard of, but this is the easiest. just spit out the small amount as soon as you get it in your mouth!

BrandonS
10/05/2006, 11:22 PM
^that's how I start mine. Make sure you have water in both sides and both openings are submerged. Put the air tube on the backside (where it starts bending down) at the top. That's where the last amount of air ends up so you'll be able to get the most of it out.

Reefdiver77
10/05/2006, 11:35 PM
That is how I do it too. Pull the hose out as soon as you see you have a good flow and no major air bubble at the top.

BrandonS
10/05/2006, 11:38 PM
oh yea, forgot. When you stop sucking on the other end, put your thumb over it. Sometimes mine will suck air back in through the hose if I don't.

markandkristen
10/06/2006, 12:09 AM
ditto.
after mine was going i would kind a jiggle the riser tube just a little to get the air bubbles out... kinda a up and down motion.
not too much though or youll break the syphon.