PDA

View Full Version : HOB Refugium or Sump/Refugium

golf4lyfe
10/05/2006, 08:02 PM
Im looking into either a 20 gallon long or a 20 gallon cube. Im deciding wether to build a sump/refugium under the tank. Or wether to build a HOB refugium. Would they both accomplish the same thing? Also I was thinking of putting a skimmer in there too, does anyone know of a small one that would fit in a skimmer.

sir_dudeguy
10/05/2006, 08:08 PM
well they'll both do the same thing, but the bigger they are, the more they'll accomplish...so if theres an option of getting a sump and putting a fuge in it, go that route for sure. Do NOT put a skimmer inside the fuge tho. That will completely defeat the purpose of it as it would suck up all the pods that grow in there...make sure the skimmer is before the fuge section in the sump.

showtime305
10/05/2006, 08:09 PM
Go with the sump/refugium under the tank. You can probably use a 10-20 gallon tank and place a few baffle to create you different sections. There are several skimmers that would work or you can use a hangon back skimmer on the sump.

sir_dudeguy
10/05/2006, 08:13 PM
the only problem i might see is that the water in the sump wont be full...so if you do a hob skimmer in the sump, that might affect skimmer performance, right? I know they have extension tubes and whatnot, but does having a long tube from the pump to the skimmer make it run any worse than having a shorter one? (as long as the pump is 3-4 inches under)

golf4lyfe
10/05/2006, 08:25 PM
Im sorta new to saltwater fish, right now I have a saltwater tank. What do you mean when you say fuge

showtime305
10/05/2006, 08:32 PM
Fuge= refugium

I've seen the Aqua C Remora in a hangon sump design. From what I have heard, they are great skimmers. I've hung my Aqua Medic skimmer on the back of my sump before and the skimmate production did decrease. I have it back in the sump now.

golf4lyfe
10/05/2006, 08:37 PM
I sorta have a rough sketch of what Im planning, im hoping to hang this on the back of the tank because me stand has just shelves and I dont want the sump being shown.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/paef0b6f9e3b549f06702782ef29c6767/eca9dfb1.jpg

Tell me what you think? im open to sugestions.

Also what would be better Bio Balls, or a filter cartridge

golf4lyfe
10/05/2006, 09:10 PM
Also what type of skimmer would your recommend for a 20 gallon tank

gabegmonkey
10/05/2006, 09:17 PM
I don't think you're supposed to have all your flow go through the Refugium area. If I'm looking at your drawing correctly that's how it seems to be flowing...

golf4lyfe
10/05/2006, 09:21 PM
That is what your looking at, what is the problem if all flow go through the refufium

sir_dudeguy
10/05/2006, 09:26 PM
What do you mean when you say fuge[/qoute]

a fuge is a place where you grow pods (beneficial "bugs" to put them in the simplest term :) ) and to grow a type of algae, usually chaeto algae or caulerpra. The pods will multiply in the fuge where they wont be eaten, and then will get sucked into the main tank and will also multiply there, but will be eaten for the most part by fish (some fish like manderins absolutely need pods to survive). The chaeto will help reduce nitrates, which in turn will help rid you of unwanted algae in the main tank.

From what I have heard, they are great skimmers[/quote]

yes, they are great skimmers. I've got one on my 55 and wouldnt trade it for any other hob skimmer. But i'm just thinkin that like you said it did for you, it would decrease the amount of crud pulled out.

Also what type of skimmer would your recommend for a 20 gallon tank
pretty much any hob skimmer will be fine for a 20 gallon tank. Just stay away from Jebo (aka odysea), prizm, and seaclone skimmers...i'd suggest the coralife superskimmer 65...they're pretty good on smaller tanks. A remora would be overkill, but it'd still be great lol.

golf...i just looked at your diagram...you have that second rectangle on the left labeled as the sump...just so you know, the whole thing is called the sump....that whole tank that goes under the main tank...then you can have a skimmer, fuge, etc inside the sump...but the whole thing is considered a sump.

Anyways, i would not run any bioballs in this system if you're planning to have live rock. Bioballs are either anaerobic or not anaerobic (cant remember which one it is) but one of those doesnt break down nitrates...thats the one that bioballs are lol. They cant break down nitrates so they just build up in there.

gabegmonkey
10/05/2006, 09:37 PM
you can't control the amount of flow in the 'fuge the way you have it diagrammed... if you have the proper amount of flow for the Display tank you'll probably have too much for the 'fuge. You'll wind up blowing all the pods out before they have time to mature and breed.

golf4lyfe
10/05/2006, 09:41 PM
Instead of sump, It was spose to say skimmer. Im going to build this setup behind my tnak out of acrylic, my questiong is if all the water cycles through an refugium is that alright?

showtime305
10/05/2006, 09:49 PM
The flow in the set up can be controlled by adding a ball valve to the return line if there is a overflow box being used.

golf4lyfe
10/05/2006, 09:54 PM
Okay, if you were going to set this up in your tank is there anything else you might add to it? It'll be 20x4x10. Is something that big fairly easy to make with acrylic

golf4lyfe
10/06/2006, 03:15 PM
If I was to build my setup above would it be difficult to make a acrylic box 20x4x10