PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer fills up too quick?

Markerum
10/05/2006, 04:29 PM
I have a protein skimmer without any directions. When I put the skimmer in the sump and turned it on, the bubbles formed and went into the collection cup. In 20 min, the cup was 1/4 of the way full. In 40 min, the cup was half full. The skimmer was obviously bubbling too much? The liquid in the cup was clear. The only thing that seems to reduce the bubbles is an air tube attached to the skimmer (that has a plug in it). When I take out the plug, the bubbles are reduced in the collection tube, so much that none of the bubbles are going to make it to the cup. How do I balance this? What am I doing wrong? Also, do I need the skimmer on now as I am cycling the tank with 3 Damsels?

Agu
10/05/2006, 04:38 PM
Can the height of the collection cup be adjusted, if so raise it higher.

atty
10/05/2006, 04:46 PM
it either you have to many bubbles or the height of water in the reaction chamber is ti high. You can adjsust this on the outlet pipe, you can either turn a knob that determines how much water can come out or either turn this pipe towards the ground and this will determine how high the water will be.
hard to explain but i hope it helps

a4twenty
10/05/2006, 06:24 PM
what brand of skimmer is it?

trpigg
10/05/2006, 07:22 PM
I have the same problem and i am running a reef octopus nw150. Sorry to interupt but i figure you guys can kill two birds with one stone. Any sugestions. When i lowere the bubble height it stats creating this thin foam that comes out the top of the collection cup and i have to empty it even though it is not full. Is this normal?

atty
10/05/2006, 08:06 PM
what colour is this foam? if its green or brown its ok but if it is white i think the bubbles are to small. you should have a adjustment knob that determines the amount of air that goes into the skimmer. all skimmers work differently so its hard to identify the problem. mabe a photo

Markerum
10/05/2006, 08:50 PM
The foam is white, do I reduce the water coming from the pump, becuase there is a valve there???
Do I need to turn it on the skimmer if I am cycling the tank???

Markerum
10/05/2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks fo the info, what about needing it on while I am cycling the tank? the skimmer that is.

atty
10/05/2006, 10:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8285362#post8285362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Markerum
The foam is white, do I reduce the water coming from the pump, becuase there is a valve there???
Do I need to turn it on the skimmer if I am cycling the tank???

That sounds rite but there should be other ways to do it too. what skimmer do you have?

You shouldnt use the skimmer when doing a cycle because it slows down the nitrogen process ( stops organic material turning to ammonia, nitrite and the nitrate). if you realy want to use the skimmer just use it for a couple of hours a day. Have you put in any live rock, if so how much?

markandkristen
10/06/2006, 12:05 AM
def. need to know the model.

on a lot of the cheaper ones. the discharge can be raise or lowered.

on some skimmers they say cut off the air inlet so that its just water rising. once its steady about halfway in the neck. then open the air line and adjust.

but again a picture is worth a thousand words.

i had a seaclear that all i did was adjust that thing. every day it was a battle . more air... less air... raise the output pipe. ...lower it....
everything was always green looking or real clear.

now my euro it skims consistenly .

atty
10/06/2006, 12:32 AM
thats what i have found with this hobby, if you go cheap loads of prolems will occur.