PDA

View Full Version : Fire Shrimp!!!!!!

xL4zYx
06/20/2002, 08:35 AM
I don't know what is going on. Do Fire Shrimp clean other fish, or is mine trying to eat/kill my Cherub Angel? My Cherub kind of swims up to the FS. About an inch away. He then stays there for a few seconds then the FS comes up and starts feeling the Cherub and touching it and it looks like the FS is pulling it towards him. At that point the Cherub swims off. I just noticed this now. It has happened about 3 times in the past 10 min. None of my other fish seem to go near the FS.

DAN THE MAN
06/20/2002, 08:39 AM
Yes, fire shrimp clean fish they are realated to cleaners. Be happy they are, most are not as apt to do it captivity. It sound like thats what he's trying to do.

xL4zYx
06/20/2002, 08:42 AM
I thought that also. Thanks. It just looks pretty intense when he does though. :)

gcvt
06/20/2002, 11:06 AM
I originally had cleaner shrimp in with my purple tang and they'd clean him every now and then. Later, I added three Fire shrimp and the tang would hang out right in front of them, waiting to be cleaned, but they wouldn't go to work on him. Now, they do seem to be catching on; two of them have taken to cleaning the tang. It's interesting behavior - the tang backs himself into a small cave and the shrimp seem to know that they need to go there to clean him. :)

Pandora
06/20/2002, 05:25 PM
I have both fire shrimp and skunk cleaners. From what I've read and also seen firsthand, fire shrimp are shyer and do not have as strong a cleaning instinct as the skunks, but both will do it. Actually, in my tank neither really does it anymore, which I guess could be a good sign that nothing is bothering the fish... though I must say, they are both greedy little buggers. Both come out when I am feeding my corals now and steal their food... but I can't help but forgive them, they are so cool :). They'll also both climb on my hand when I'm moving around frags and clean me; aside from my peppermints, none of my shrimp are shy anymore.

xL4zYx
06/20/2002, 08:14 PM
I got my fire shrimp 2 days ago. When I feed him he just stays under this part of LR and wont come out to get any food. If some food happens to go right in front of him then he will eat. I've only seen this happen a couple times. How long will it take him to come out and eat the food?

kitestir9
06/20/2002, 10:06 PM
It took my fire shrimp about 1 week to become friendly. I take formula 1 chunks in my fingers and hang them in the tank. At first just my false perculas would come and get it from my hand. But after a week or so my Fire Shrimp would come out and eat from my hand also:D

Just give him a little time

http://kitestir.20m.com/images/blood_3.jpg
Kitestir

fishiechick
06/21/2002, 11:19 AM
my fire shrimp has been in my tank for at least 3 weeks and he hung in the same spot for at least 2 weeks. He just started popping out to eat within the last week. He is still very shy. Give him some time and you should start to see more activity from him.

goldscarf
06/21/2002, 02:51 PM
I have two in my tank, and they are both pretty shy. Stunning creature! It has taken almost 2 months, but they are not pretty active and enjoy coming out to say hi.