PDA

View Full Version : too many bristleworms

foozdog
10/05/2006, 11:40 AM
hey guys hows it goin.i am having a problem with to many bristle wors any recomendations on keeping them under control?i also wouold like to know how everyone keeps their sandbed clean snails sea stars hermits?i would like to stay away from hermits but i do need some critters that are good at turning over a sandbed and don't get large thanx everyone

nlknight
10/05/2006, 11:46 AM
coral banded shrimp is a good way to clean up some of those bristle worms and clean up the sand bed.

foozdog
10/05/2006, 12:44 PM
can't do the coral banded.small tank with corals and small fish .any other suggestions

eederise
10/05/2006, 12:50 PM
My arrow crab does a good job with worms, among other things. He hasn't bothered any of my other livestock, either.

tkeracer619
10/05/2006, 12:56 PM
Some wrasses will stare at the rock waiting for the next bristleworm.

How is that arrow crab btw, looks awsome in pics. Like a big spider.

Poniegirl
10/05/2006, 02:23 PM
I have had two wrasse, one a Pennant Fairy the other a Cigar wrasse. Both have been effective, but the ones I have now, the cigar wrasse, are maniacs about the worms! Awesome fish.
What size tank and what tankmates?

foozdog
10/06/2006, 11:04 AM
33g with 2 clowns.60 lbs rock anem and lots of corals

six.line
10/06/2006, 11:33 AM
If you have too many bristleworms, odds are you are overfeeding. There's not really such a thing as having 'too many,' because they aren't bad for your tank (on the contrary, they're quite beneficial) and their population changes as per your tank variables. They eat dead stuff as well as extra food, so check out your feeding patterns. Make sure you feed sparingly with the clowns. Overfeeding is more of a danger than underfeeding.

For keeping the sandbed clean, I personally vacuum during water changes. Just lightly enough so that collections and deposits of gunk get sucked up. In a tank that small, I'd probably recommend a sand sifting sea star, but I'm not entirely convinced they're the most efficient things ever.

good luck

dc
10/06/2006, 11:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8288507#post8288507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by six.line
If you have too many bristleworms, odds are you are overfeeding. There's not really such a thing as having 'too many,' because they aren't bad for your tank (on the contrary, they're quite beneficial) and their population changes as per your tank variables. They eat dead stuff as well as extra food, so check out your feeding patterns. Make sure you feed sparingly with the clowns. Overfeeding is more of a danger than underfeeding.

good luck

Agreed.

I just don't worry about white sand. :D