PDA

View Full Version : what is the name of the snail that can flip themselves over?

pogiboy67
10/05/2006, 09:37 AM
looking for snails that can flip themselves right side up if they fall over..what is their name? thanks!

Runner
10/05/2006, 10:21 AM
Ash trays. :D

Spelled "astraes". They can flip over on bare bottom or solid surfaces I am told, though.

coker98
10/05/2006, 10:27 AM
cerith snails

thor32766
10/05/2006, 11:01 AM
astreas are great snails and can flip themselves.

fufi5
10/05/2006, 11:32 AM
nassarius, banded trochus and some ceriths

Paintbug
10/05/2006, 11:59 AM
astreas can NOT right themselves. not on sand anyway. they may be able to on a glass bare bottom tank. like fufi5 said nassarius, trochus, and some ceriths can. im fortunate enough to have the ceriths that cant LOL.

Travis L. Stevens
10/05/2006, 12:43 PM
Most other snails besides Astreas can. Astreas, themselves, cannot. Ilyanassa, Cerith, Nassarius, Turbo, Trochus, Margarita, etc can. And that's just to name a few.

law086
10/05/2006, 04:24 PM
Before I bought my cleaning crew, I killed myself trying to get the perfect combination of maintenance free snails. In the end, I think I worried about it way too much. There's no absolute rule. In the end, some snails will not flip back over and will die. Some more often than others.

My experience:
Astreas - not very good a flipping
Cerith - they don't seem to fall often, but I can't say I've ever seen mine flip themselves
Nassarius - can flip themselves almost every time. Very good flippers.
Trochus - pretty good flippers. Every now and then I have to help them.

I don't keep turbos, so I can't comment on them. My tank is settling in very well with the majority being Trochus and Nassarius. Nassarius obviously cleaning mostly sand and Trochus spending most of their time on the rocks and class. Both seem to be frequently reproducing in the tank as well... which is always nice.

Best of luck.. and seriously, don't kill yourself over deciding. There is no perfect snail. Get a few of each and experience their quirks on your own. They're cheap!

Ron

Runner
10/05/2006, 04:27 PM
Ooops. I misread. I thought you asked for those that could NOT flip over. :sad2:

Sorry about that.