PDA

View Full Version : so is it safe to house 1 tang, blenny, goby and snails in a 10 gallon quarantine??

pogiboy67
10/05/2006, 09:30 AM
like title says.. is it ok? or should i expect harrassment?

fufi5
10/05/2006, 10:14 AM
Tangs need room to swim (will not do good in a small tank, stress), for the blenny and goby (you might want to do one or the other, one at a time, to avoid nips & harrasment), also, a tight fitting lid to avoid carpet surfing). Hope this helps.

Runner
10/05/2006, 10:32 AM
For a short-term quarantine, the snails should be fine. If it is a smaller tang like a kole or yellow, he should be fine short-term, although a 20G long would be better for them if you can swing it. The blenny might get in a turf battle with the goby, though, depending on their type.

pogiboy67
10/05/2006, 11:06 AM
ok as for the snails, how long should i keep them in quarantine? what should i lookn out for? i just dont want to introduce anything bad into main tank.... thanks! and DO u guys quarantine SHrimp?

pogiboy67
10/05/2006, 04:31 PM
anyone else? ill just stick with a bleeny and tang at the moment then...

Bebo77
10/05/2006, 04:42 PM
why would you QT snails? and if you are going to QT you might as well put the fish through hypo... QT alone does nothing.

pogiboy67
10/06/2006, 12:44 AM
Dont snails sometimes carry parasites? And yeah they would go through hypo since im getting a tang

MJAnderson
10/06/2006, 08:03 AM
Hypo will kill inverts and yes they can carry parasites or Ich cysts. I'm not an ich expert, but I don't believe ich can live off of inverts but they can carry the cysts. You need to keep them in QT long enough for the ich to go free swimming and they will die from lack of a host. With the fish, the hypo kills the ich while it's free swimming and before they can attach to the fish. Without hypo or medication, the ich will just continue the cycle with fish in the qt.

btw, copper kills inverts too.

pogiboy67
10/06/2006, 11:05 AM
so i guess my problem is i have a tang coming in with snails and blue legged hermits... only one quarantine tank... i cant do hypo since the inverts are in there. So how long should i let the snails and blu leggeds stay in quarantine till i release them in the main and start hypo for tang?

chopsuey
10/06/2006, 11:21 AM
Not to hyjack the thead but just a simple clairification

What is "Hypo" ?

I have heard of many ways to treat Marine ich and many different QT solutions but I have never heard of Hypo... can someone explain? thanks :confused:

pogiboy67
10/06/2006, 11:36 AM
hypo means taking the salt levels in your tank to 1.000 or around there below the normal level. So how long should i let the snails and blu leggeds stay in quarantine till i release them in the main and start hypo for tang?

MJAnderson
10/06/2006, 11:48 AM
hypo means bringing it down to 1.009.

Sadly it wont work that way. You'll need to QT them seperately. The snails will need a tank at normal SG for 3-4 weeks with no fish. The fish will need a tank at 1.009 for 6 weeks AFTER seeing the last bit of ICH.

bureau13
10/06/2006, 11:50 AM
I've never quarantined snails or hermits....sort of a diminishing returns thing for me...although if you do it, that's the safer and smarter way I guess. I would think, personally, that you'd need them in QT for 4-6 weeks, so that no matter where in the life cycle any potential ich parasites are, they will get to the point where they need a fish host, fail to find one, and die. If you're going to all this trouble, no point in allowing ANY window of opportunity for them to sneak in.

Personally...I would find a bigger tank for fish QT...I use a 29gal and I wish it were bigger....and use the 10gal for snails and other inverts. That way should you decide to use copper at some point, you will still have your invert QT safe and available.

jds

tkeracer619
10/06/2006, 12:10 PM
hypo is 1.009sg and requires a refractometer to work.

A tang in a 10gallon will cause nasty spikes, but with daily water changes it should be ok. I agree with a larger qt. I run a 55 as a qt. It is honestly too big for most people. a 30g tank would be a great qt, as long as you let it cycle and don't cause the need for 50,000 water changes.

pogiboy67
10/06/2006, 12:34 PM
ok so my next question is, if i have 2 seperate tanks for quarantine of fish and inverts... DO i have to have a filter for the inverts? or can they survive off an airstone? i only have one HOB filter

pogiboy67
10/06/2006, 12:52 PM
and how many of you guys quarantine your snails and hermits??

MJAnderson
10/06/2006, 02:19 PM
Inverts are sensitive to nitrates (>20 is lethal?) and don't tolerate changes in PH, temp and SG as well as fish do. Given that, large water changes are hard on them. I would suggest a filter.

I didn't QT mine, but all of mine were in 2 months before fish. The only thing I don't QT is corals, mainly because I don't have the lights/flow for it. I should and when I switch tanks I'll reqt everything.

pogiboy67
10/06/2006, 02:32 PM
ok i will def use 2 tanks haha...just gotta buy another filter now..arghhhh