PDA

View Full Version : Lighting how much?

cowpilot
10/05/2006, 09:12 AM
Well since I cant setup my tank yet I would like to start getting stuff like the lights and protien skimmer. So my question is how much lighting do i need to eventually have corals.

My current though is 4 80 watt 60in T5's Is this enough light. Ive heard the T5's have a long lifespan is this true?

Tank dimensions 60", 18"' 20"

kau_cinta_ku
10/05/2006, 09:19 AM
as long as you keep the bulbs cool with fans blowing over them then yes they have a great life span some have gone 18 monthes before replacing them but i would still change them about 12-14 monthes.

what kinds of corals are you wanting to keep and what type of T5's? the individual reflectors for each bulb will make the t5's more better where as a single reflector for all the bulbs arn't much better than PC lights.

smcdonn
10/05/2006, 10:11 AM
Don't expect to keep SPS with that setup. Also if your ever wanting a clam, you won't be able to keep it under those lights. I would personally look at getting 6 bulbs.

Avi
10/05/2006, 11:02 AM
I agree with what's been said above....If you have the kind of t5's that where each bulb has its own reflector, having six bulbs would be fine, but as you have only four now, you'd be limited to some of the less light-demanding corals.