PDA

View Full Version : shrimp selection

Kigs
10/05/2006, 02:08 AM
I recently lost my cleaner shrimp I've had for about a year. :( I'm thninking of adding a new cleaner to my AquaPod 24g, but wondering which I should put in. Should I put in a

- skunk?
- Fire shrimp?
- CBC?
- Peppermints?

I know it's up to me in the end, but just wanted to hear your inputs. Especially from those who has an Aquapod.

dc
10/05/2006, 10:44 AM
Well skunks are the most entertaining to me, so that's what I'd get. I had a fire shrimp, and rarely saw it for the 2 years I had it.
CBC's are supposedly evil. Never had one tho.

Mr. Guitar
10/05/2006, 03:36 PM
I have a 12 Gallon Cube set up in my room. I have 2 Peppermint Shrimp in it. Well, one right now the other one kicked the bucket. They are awesome...especially newly hatched ones. I don't care for the Peppermint Shrimp anymore because they ate one of my corals. If I were you I'd get the Blood Shrimp. They add a ton of color to an aquarium.

Kigs
10/05/2006, 05:16 PM
How about housing a skunk and a fire at the same time? Do you guys think 24g would be enough for both?

LittlePuff
10/05/2006, 06:59 PM
How about camelbacks or sexy shrimp?

Mr. Guitar
10/05/2006, 07:03 PM
It probably would be big enough for only one in the future. You can have them together in that tank when they are quite small. When they get really big, room might be a problem.

Kigs
10/05/2006, 07:25 PM
camelback tends to eat corals, no? I already have a sexy shrimp in there but I rarely see him. In fact, I thought he was dead but I found him during my transfer from a 29g to this aquapod. :)

I'm going to buy two baby fire/skunks and see how they turn out.

Or maybe I should do a pair of skunks or fire? Would they spawn easily?

Mr. Guitar
10/05/2006, 07:35 PM
Your plan sounds good to me. Just keep in mind their adult size too. Ya know, I don't know anything about Fire Shrimp reproduction. All I know is the Peppermint and Cleaner Shrimp reproduction. Cleaner Shrimp are sorta hard to spawn but it's very possible. My guess is the Fire Shrimp are hard to spawn. Not 100% sure though. I'll have to do some more research. Dang. You got me thinkin. hahaha. If I were you I wouldn't try a Camelback Shrimp. They do tend to pick at some corals.

Kigs
10/06/2006, 12:23 AM
Camelbacks are kinda ugly anyway. I have to hope that my LFS are carrying small sized inverts this week. not the usual adult sized cleaners.

Anyone have any aggerssion issues with fire shrimps? I've heard in the past that they can be quiet aggressive if you get a bad stock?

Mr. Guitar
10/06/2006, 02:28 PM
I have a Fire Shrimp and it's not aggressive at all. I don't have two of them but I'm sure they'll get along. Just depends if they like each other or not. haha.