PDA

View Full Version : Question about order of fish introduction

AslanTheKing
10/04/2006, 11:07 PM
Hey all,

I have my list made out and I'm curious about when to add a couple of fish in the list.

1st- Yellow Watchman Goby

2nd- Green Clown Goby

3rd- Kole Tang

4th- Oscellaris Clown

5th- Orchid Dottyback (Fridmani Pseudochromis

6th- Coral Beauty Angel

7th- Green Mandarin

I'm concerned about how aggressive #4, 5, and 6 are. Do I need to alter order?

Peace

Kevin

PatMayo
10/04/2006, 11:15 PM
I think most folks add the more aggresive fish very last. This way the more docile fish can establish territories first and may not get pushed out.

If your going to put a mandarin in the tank I would wait until the tank has been established for a long time. Hard fish to keep.

Regards,

Pat

AslanTheKing
10/05/2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the reply, Pat. I'm concerned about which truly is the most aggressive. None of the fish I have chosen are "very aggressive" as I understand it. The Coral Beauty can be, but it appears to be only against other dwarf angels. Clowns of any variety are as one person put it, "damsels with better pajamas." Still, Oscellaris tends to be a more docile species. Fridmani's have a rep for establishing and dominating a territory. Of those three, which is the worst?

As for the mandarin, that's why he's last. With 5 other fish ahead of him in the queue for the quaranitine, the tank will be at least 8 months established prior to his entering. On top of that, I just added two bottles of Tiger Pods. I intend to add one or two bottles of live copepods every other month. Likewise, I have an HOB fuge in the works for the next month. spike that with a bottle of Ocean or Tiger pods, along with a couple of pounds of rubble and some chaeto.

I think I'll be ready for him when his time comes, but for now, what fish needs to be last before the mandarin?

Peace

Kevin

bertoni
10/05/2006, 02:16 AM
I'd probably add the green clown goby first. The other fish seem compatible enough that I wouldn't worry, except for the Fridmani, which I'd probably add last, or perhaps omit. I'm conservative about aggressive fish.

AslanTheKing
10/05/2006, 08:15 AM
Just how aggressive is the fridmani? I've heard everything from not at all to avoid like the plague aggressive.

Peace

Kevin

AslanTheKing
10/05/2006, 09:59 AM
Any more opinions?

Shagsbeard
10/05/2006, 10:06 AM
Not to be a pessimist, but planning for 8 months of an aquarium is a bit futile. To think that everything will go as planned... well... you can hope.

I like your list... and the order you listed them.

AslanTheKing
10/05/2006, 10:18 AM
Oh, I don't expect everything to go as planned. ;-) Note that I said, "at least" 8 months. No I understand that crap is going to happen. That being said, patience, research, and planning ahead were the things that I've seen preached on the board since I started reading almost 2 years ago. My tank is going on three months old, so between research and saving, it's taken me that long to get to where I am now. ;-)

Peace

Kevin

bertoni
10/05/2006, 01:35 PM
I suspect the fridmani vary in aggressiveness. I've been told that the tank-raised ones are far less aggressive, for example. I have never had one,though. Very pretty fish.