PDA

View Full Version : tank cracked, now what?

rjmarthaller
10/04/2006, 07:42 PM
So being the do-it-yourselfer that I am i started to drill my new 125g for the overflow. While doing it I guess there wasn't enough water and it got about a 1 inch crack going away from the hole for the bulkhead. This is in the overflow and above where the waterline is going to be.

Is this going to be a problem? Is there a way to fix it so the crack won't spread any? How about a piece of plexiglass sandwiching the spot of the bulkhead where it cracked?

Any help would be great as I don't know what to do.

Thanks,
Ryan

cilyjr
10/04/2006, 07:49 PM
i am no exbert but i believe a small drill hole must be made at either end of the crack to stop it from cracking further. than fill the holes and than silicone the crack its self. but def check with someone who knows glass.

Shagsbeard
10/04/2006, 08:50 PM
It can be repaired by a glass guy... but they'll probably recommend just replacing the pane. Drilling glass isn't easy, and there's a reason they charge what they do to drill it. If they break it, they have to fix it. I'd take it as a DYI lesson and get a new pane and have it drilled by a pro.

kraze3
10/04/2006, 09:13 PM
I agree with replacing the pane. Using a repaired pane that holds back 125 gallons of water doesnt sit right with me. Just too much of a risk in my opinion.

cilyjr
10/04/2006, 09:32 PM
if its replaceable def do that!!!

rjmarthaller
10/04/2006, 09:34 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking too. I have couple glass places that I'm going to call in the morning and just have them fix it or replace the pane; whichever they recommend.

Thanks

rjmarthaller
10/05/2006, 09:11 PM
the answer was too easy to see. I have to thank my wife for this, but the answer is to make the hole bigger and cut out the crack. :D She thinks I'm nuts to cut a hole in our new aquarium (and we have now confirmed that she was right) but pretty much saved the day.

Like I said the crack is only about 1" so going to the next size bulkhead will remove the crack entirely. I have a better Dremel bit to use now as well as some plumber's putty so I won't be in such a hurry and can do this in my garage when I have some spare time.

Now to just go super slow with lots of water and get the hole cut.

Ryan

dlshaw
10/06/2006, 12:55 AM
I'm curious if drilling the hole bigger fixed your problem. Please let me know :) Good luck