PDA

View Full Version : Tank to Tank Sand Change?

mattyb327
10/04/2006, 06:29 PM
I have a 29 gal that has about 30# of live sand in it, I have since put up a 55 gal that has about 70# of live rock and about 20# aragonite and I was wondering how I could move some of the sand from tank2tank. I'm aware that I may have an ammonia spike if I upset the sand. So I was wondering how to move it safely. Also the 55 has been running for 3 weeks now and I'm starting to get small green hair algea on the sand and glass I was wondering how to treat it. Thanks in advance!!

TOURKID
10/04/2006, 06:33 PM
When I moved my tank, I scooped up and saved about 5 cups of it and just added it to the rest of my sand. I dident let my new sand go three weeks first though, So i guess i wouldent mix it in, just sorta lay it on top

mattyb327
10/05/2006, 03:24 AM
Thanks Tourkid, I know I probably shouldn't have waited so long!!

imtheonlylp
10/05/2006, 09:34 AM
if i were doing that, i would siphon out the sand from the bottom of the donor tank into a 5g bucket, then let it settle for a while...after that, use a long sturdy tube with a funnel on the top end of it...pour the sand (cupfuls at a time) down the funnel and aim it with the clear tube to the desired location...that way it dramatically cuts down on sandstorms...even still, i would run a carbon filter during the process

mattyb327
10/05/2006, 03:25 PM
Thats agood idea imtheonlylp I like the funnel trick was kind of thinking it would make a mess hitting the bottom of the tank. Thank you very much !!!!!!!