PDA

View Full Version : T5 setup purchased - setup questions

juice454
10/04/2006, 04:56 PM
I hit up Reef Geek and laid down the money for a 36" Tek Light: 4-39W T5 HO Fluorescents. I plan on suspending it from the ceiling using a Cable Suspension System. I have one last configuration quandry. What/if anything to use as a cover for the tank? Right now I am using the standard glass flip cover that came with the tank. It's been pointed out that most reefers choose not to use a cover with better lightning. But what stops debris, dust, pests from entering the open water, not too mention jumping fish. Or is it acceptable to keep the standard cover on and use the T5 lightning with that?

Thanks

cward
10/04/2006, 05:15 PM
With an open top tank, you could have the occasional fish jump out. An open top tank will allow your tank to run cooler though so you might want to think about adding a piece of egg crate as a cover. This will allow more light penetration over the glass top, and you get the benefit of an open top tank.

juice454
10/04/2006, 05:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8276912#post8276912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cward
With an open top tank, you could have the occasional fish jump out. An open top tank will allow your tank to run cooler though so you might want to think about adding a piece of egg crate as a cover. This will allow more light penetration over the glass top, and you get the benefit of an open top tank.

If I decided to keep the glass top on, would it greatly reduce the light penetration? Am I making the lighting upgrade worthless if I keep it on?

papagimp
10/04/2006, 05:21 PM
dust and debris will make its way in, but in all the time I've kept aquariums i've never came home and noticed a bunch of dust or debris in my tank. as for pests, I've seen my fish snap at anything that tried to make its way into the water, fly's, mesquito's, ect...

papagimp
10/04/2006, 05:22 PM
the glass will cut out a bit of light, then the saltcreep forming on the glass will cut out even more. You could always set the lighting fixture lower, but then that close to the glass, well, sounds like it would cause the water to heat up a bit. My 54w x 4 t-5's put out alot more heat than I thought they would. Not as much has halides but i wouldn't want a glass cover over my tank.

Beccas_dad
10/04/2006, 05:35 PM
I have the TEK 8bulb T5 on my 90gal with a glass top with my canopy with out fans and have not noticed any change in my temp. I have the light about 1" from the glass and it will stay at 78.5 all day and night long.

Salt creep does take it's toll after a while but just rinse off the glass and your should be fine.

If you go with egg crate just make sure your lights are high enough that splashing water does not get on your lights this will shorten the life and also start the rusting process on the connectors.

juice454
10/05/2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Where do you buy the eggcrate, and do you recommend using it?

kau_cinta_ku
10/05/2006, 09:22 AM
eggcrate is found at home depot or lowes and yes i reccomend it over glass tops anyday

juice454
10/05/2006, 09:31 AM
For feeding u just lift it out as you would flip the top on a glass hood? Or cut a permanent hole? (Sorry for the 20 questions)

Dan9
10/05/2006, 05:43 PM
I just bought a T5 setup. I think its the exact same one as you. Its a 36" 4-39 watt T5 fluorescent. Anyway, I do not use a cover and I have no heat problem at all.

j_beau_13
10/05/2006, 06:15 PM
heres my 75 gal with eggcrate..just to give you an idea of what it looks like

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/j_beau_13/100_0600.jpg

kpcollins31
10/05/2006, 06:40 PM
Go with eggcrate - I had glass for a while below my T5s and noticed a big difference when I removed my glass and kept it open. Since a clownfish did go carpet surfing, I will be adding eggcrate shortly.

Kevin