PDA

View Full Version : Twin Spot Goby

Shinok
10/04/2006, 03:28 PM
I just bought a nice Twin Spot Goby and have been reading that they do better in pairs, which there was another in the tank at the LFS. Ive read that they dont REALLY need the other but I just want to make sure.

Any tips on care?

jcraft
10/04/2006, 03:58 PM
never had one, but I have heard the contrary.

They are hard to keep to begin with, but doubly so when there is only one. Also, even if the LFS has another, they may not pair up

Shinok
10/05/2006, 09:33 AM
Well the LFS has a bunch of maybe 3 gallon tanks that are above the main tanks and two of them had pairs that always followed eachother around. Guessing they were shipped that way. Any advice? Should I just go ahead and fork out the 20 bux?

fsn77
10/05/2006, 09:52 AM
I'd suggest putting a lot of effort into getting it to eat live / frozen foods. They are sand sifters, and will slowly starve to death if there's not enough food for them in the sand bed. I tried for a long time to get ours to eat sinking pellets, frozen mysis, live mysis, added live copepods to the tank, and even tried burying foods in the sand for him -- none of which worked for me. Ours died after roughly 3 months, despite my efforts to get him to eat other foods.

As a word of caution, they also dig caves in the sand. This can cause the rock work to shift. The last thing anyone wants is their rock work shifting into the glass and causing a crack or leak.

Shinok
10/05/2006, 10:37 AM
Thats why one of my rocks was on the bottom last night :p
Maybe I should try to shoot some cyclopeeze into the sand bed or would the pods and all that eat it first?

Well lets see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

fsn77
10/05/2006, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8281208#post8281208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shinok
Maybe I should try to shoot some cyclopeeze into the sand bed or would the pods and all that eat it first?

It was our cleaner shrimp and crabs that would find it first. It probably attracted some pods to the area, as the goby would sift the sand pretty heavily in that area for the next several hours after the shrimp and crabs were done. I don't know for sure though.