PDA

View Full Version : Ro Water Where Can I Get It Also Is It Worth Buying A Ro System

newreef06
10/04/2006, 02:54 PM
I HAVE BEEN USING DISTILLED WATER IN MY TANK. IT WORKS OUT PRETTY GOOD. I WANT TO START USING RO/DI WATER. MY LOCAL FISH STORE SELLS IT FOR 1.00 A GALLON. IS IT WORTH BUYING A RO/DI MACHINE. OR SHOULD I BU IT FROM MY LFS. I HEARD YOU WASTE 10 GALLONS FOR EVERY 2 GALLONS OF WATER. AT THE PRICE OF WATER IT MIGHT BE CHEAPER TO SPEND A 1.00 A GALLON AT THE LFS. IS THERE A CHEAPER PLACE TO BUY IT BUY THE GALLON. LET ME KNOW

SCOTT

rommelgin
10/04/2006, 02:58 PM
i would invest in one. it will pay itself off in the long run. plus no more lugging big jugs of water to and from the fishstore.

theatrus
10/04/2006, 03:03 PM
All depends on your local price of water. In 99% of the place, you'll see about a $2-4 gain on your water bill because of it (if you use it for a large tank - small its bare noticeable). You easily go through 20+gallons a day just showering.

sir_dudeguy
10/04/2006, 03:12 PM
i'd get the ro unit. It comes out to like 5 cents a gallon or something i think...and it depends on how good the unit is to find out how much water you'll waste to get a gallon of ro/di...like the better ones will prolly waste less than like a quarter of the water that a bad one does.

RudeBoy
10/04/2006, 03:19 PM
Buy the system man... it'll save you money! Especially at a $1 a gallon, that's pretty steep... we pay half that in Western NY at our LFS.

The waste water depends on the rate that you set the flow at going into the unit. I read where one guy made 5 gallons of water after 9 hours, but, had a waste amount of 33 gallons!!!! It's all in how you set it up. Flowing more water at a faster rate through the unit doesn't mean it's going to produce more RO water in less time.

sir_dudeguy
10/04/2006, 03:42 PM
ya if you can, i'd run it so that it goes slower so you dont waste as much water.

Shagsbeard
10/04/2006, 04:22 PM
Buying salt when it's on sale and running your own RO/DI unit makes for about 40 cents a gallon salt water. Saving 60 cent's a gallon will pay for a $200 RO/DI unit in about a year. If you are really concerned with the 4:1 water waste, find some way to route the waste into a trash can to water your lawn with... or to bathe in.

sir_dudeguy
10/04/2006, 04:29 PM
lol ya good idea...take a bath in wasted ro water :) lol...is wasted ro water still cleaner than tap? Or would it be worse?

But i agree that if you can find a way to get that waste water to be recirculated in there, that would be best.

EXILE
10/04/2006, 07:52 PM
I dont know what stores you have, but here you can get it water for 40 cents or so a gallon at the grocery store and you can fill your own 5 gallons buckets which is still a hastle but less jugs to fill and money to spend just a cart full of buckets.

blufyre3
10/04/2006, 08:01 PM
the ro unit is definately worth it. It also can be auto top off. I have it set for auto top off and re-route it to my mixing tank when I need to do a water change.

ledford1
10/04/2006, 10:04 PM
airwaterice.com has several model for us fishheads and you get a little bonus for being a member of RC

I have the Typhoon III and love it.

meche
10/04/2006, 10:06 PM
"AT THE PRICE OF WATER IT MIGHT BE CHEAPER TO SPEND A 1.00 A GALLON"

:insert "absolutly &$*%# dumbfounded" smilie here:

You live in america right? Not water world?

blufyre3
10/04/2006, 10:25 PM
I have to say that going out to bring water home just wouldn't be an option for me. I do a 60 gal change and even if it was 5 it seems like to big of a hassle. Even my 80 gal. quarentine tank would require 20 gallons for only a 25% change. I have a big van and I couldn't haul that much water. :) I do however know how lucky I am to have everything that came with adopting an already established system from someone who could afford all those things. I also think I read somewhere that they had a rainwater tank set up and used a home filtering system to filter the water. It may be an alternative worth looking into.