PDA

View Full Version : Complete/ good/ accurate / cheap water test kit???

Finding_nemo1
10/04/2006, 01:32 PM
What do you guys suggest for a good water test kit? and any particular website to buy it from?

miwoodar
10/04/2006, 01:33 PM
Salifert kits are great. Many sites have them at reasonable prices. I've seen people claim they are more expensive than other brands but if you look at the number of tests/box it's pretty much a wash.

Edit - Make sure you don't forget the calcium and alkalinity kits. Understanding the relationship between these parameters (and magnesium to a lesser extent) is important for a successful reef.

papagimp
10/04/2006, 01:36 PM
I use AP and even though I've heard they decent, I get mixed readings. I have heard great things about Salifert as well though, besides, a few dollars more for a better test won't seem like much when you consider the price of the livestock you're trying to keep healthy.

Finding_nemo1
10/04/2006, 01:52 PM
I currenlty have a FOWLR tank.

What test kits should I get? Sorry but I'm really new to this.

miwoodar
10/04/2006, 02:08 PM
- pH
- alkalinity
- calcium (not as important with a FOWLR)
- ammonia (if you already have a good understanding the nitrogen cycle you probably won't ever use it)
- nitrite (if you already have a good understanding the nitrogen cycle you probably won't ever use it)
- nitrate
- phosphate (I just use the one at my LFS once every few months)

Make sure you also have a good thermometer. Stability is very important for saltwater inhabitants.

mrichardson
10/04/2006, 02:09 PM
Nitrate and Nitrite, that's all I ever used with my FOWLR.

Eashton123
10/04/2006, 02:09 PM
i use hagen test kits. They have a good explaination on why your testing for it.

Finding_nemo1
10/04/2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks so much =)