PDA

View Full Version : AquaJR-DC8 and lighting control

supersantay
10/04/2006, 11:45 AM
I have a question regarding the ability of the Aqua Jr using the DC8 to control the light setup I have. I already posses the following light setup -

6' PROTOSTAR 250 WATT 10,000K HQI & 4 PC COMPACT FL 4-96W

This has 3 MH incorporated in the hood. I am looking to see if the Aqua Jr using the DC8 will be able to support this fixture.

If the Aqua Jr with the DC8 will not work does anyone have other suggestions aside form individual timers?

bureau13
10/04/2006, 12:12 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't. I assume there are separate plugs, one for the HQI lamps and one for the PC? You will just assign the sockets they're plugged into a name, and then set up timers in the AQJr to turn them on and off whenever you want. Supposedly some metal halide systems as well as some chillers draw enough current on start-up to blow the fuse in the DC8....they do make a heavy duty version of the DC4 that you could plug your lighting and chillers in, and use the DC8 for everything else (that's the way I am running mine) but I don't know that you need to do it that way.

jds

supersantay
10/04/2006, 01:48 PM
jds -

Thanks for the response. Yes it has seperate plugs for each lamp. I should have added that I was most concerned about the ability to handle the current at the DC8. Being the DC8 can handle up to 6 amp I was concerned my MH would be too much for the DC8. I have read a bit on the HD DC4 but was hoping to get away with not having to get one of those.

Like you said though it might be a better option and safer in the long run. I will have to price it out and then decide on what to do.

Again thanks for the post!

otterpop510
10/04/2006, 02:12 PM
should be fine as each outlet can hold up to 6A with no more than 15A total to the DC8. if you have separate plugs for each 250W MH and the PC's you should be fine.

supersantay
10/04/2006, 02:25 PM
Yes I have seperate plugs for all the lights. So if it is 15A total and I have 3 MH (2-96W PCs should not pose an issue) and then a chiller would it be recommended for me to do the HD DC4? I have the 1/3 hp Aqualogic chiller.

I will have to look at the current consumption for what i have.

Thank you for the reply. It helps hearing

crumbletop
10/04/2006, 03:03 PM
I'd post this question in the Neptune Systems forum. My guess is that you would be best served by a DC4HD + a DC8 -- and run the 3 MHs and the chiller on the DC4HD. You would get a more definitive answer in the Neptune Systems forum, though.

bureau13
10/08/2006, 07:57 PM
Naturally, after my post above I have apparently blown the fuse in my DC4 HD! Go figure...

jds