PDA

View Full Version : Have Bugs and need to use a fogger

RAGWIN
10/04/2006, 11:35 AM
We have a salt water reef tank and several other animals in our home. We need to set off a bug fogger to kill all the bugs in our home and are concerned about the affect of the bug bomb on the tank and its contents.

What can we do to be sure that we are not hurting the tank with the bomb. It has been suggested that we use moving blankets all around the tank. Turn off all the pumps and tape it up while the bomb it going off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

rekn
10/04/2006, 12:08 PM
wrap it in a gigantic plastic bag, even then youll probably loose everything. i wouldnt risk it, thats for sure

JR719
10/04/2006, 12:13 PM
I've read here where others sealed the tank in plastic. Plumb hoses outside to circulate un-tainted air.

Sk8r
10/04/2006, 12:18 PM
Get a lot of plastic tubing. Put a strong airpump outside the window and shut the sash, and instruct the fogging crew not to touch that window and close off that hose on pain of death. Put a heavyduty bubbler in the main display tank, linked to that airline that draws its air from OUTSIDE the window. And if you have tangs or angels, quadruple that order, being careful not to put the bubble stream where it will hit corals or sponges. Saran-wrap the tank's every contact with air, including the sump. Turn off all lights, main pump, all power except what's driving that air hose.
And the minute you can go back into the house, open all the windows to the max and run the airconditioner fan and other fans to air it out quickly.

Then remove saran wrap, and put carbon and polyfilter pads into the system. Leave them for a week.

You shouldn't lose anything.

fufi5
10/04/2006, 01:14 PM
Had that done to my house a few years back (to treat from ticks outbreak, neighbors dog), had a FW set up (no sump) with a few goldfish. The pest guy used a portable fogger machine. The exterminator recommeded using two towels (damp with water or a little drenched to be on the safe side) to cover the tank or any exposed top area. The damp towels would catch any of the pesticide before it settled into the tank. House was completely sealed for 8 hours & had no casualties (except ticks). Hope this helps.

fufi5
10/04/2006, 01:15 PM
^^^Forgot to mention, hob filter was running while this was taking place.

Shagsbeard
10/04/2006, 01:23 PM
By the way... if this is to get rid of fleas... us frontline, or advantage from now on... it's a lot easier, safer, and more enjoyable for your pets. It works. Bombs don't. Bombs kill the fleas but leave the eggs. Eggs hatch, and six weeks later you're trying the bomb again.

miwoodar
10/04/2006, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8274825#post8274825 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JR719
I've read here where others sealed the tank in plastic. Plumb hoses outside to circulate un-tainted air.

I agree with this. Positive pressure inside the tent is key.

tkeracer619
10/04/2006, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't do it. But then again im not the one sleeping with spiders. I agree if its fleas frontline is the jam.

I am alway at war with ants, I win, every time. =]

Anything else its the orkin man.

This positive pressure thing could work but im afraid you wont be using stuff thats just laying around.

What kind of fan to use and where to get it? Moving lots of air through a duct won't be simple and im pretty sure you will have some leaks.

What I picture is one of those virus outbreak movies and some serious gear. Sounds fun.