PDA

View Full Version : highlighter fluid good idea?

J3 L U N T
10/04/2006, 10:31 AM
ok so i took my tank one night.... 10 gallon with nothing living... and put in highlighter fluid cause i thought it would be fun to see it under the blacklight. im thinking of doing a nano reef soon and was wondering if the highlighter fluid will do damage to the tank... i.e absorb into the silicon seals like metals do? i will use all new everything arragonite, live rock, etc... just wondering about the integrity of the tank!

thanks

drummereef
10/04/2006, 10:46 AM
I think you can buy a new 10 gallon for less than 10 bucks. :)

Shagsbeard
10/04/2006, 11:30 AM
Highlighter as in the ink pen? It's a lot more fun to crack open a glow stick. The stuff balls up and is the same density as water, so it floats around. Try it in a pool on a moonless night, and it's like you're swimming in stars.

Putting stuff like that in an aquarium is asking for trouble. I'd contact the manufacturer and see if there is anything in it that could harm a tank.

Jocko
10/04/2006, 12:15 PM
Yeah I doubt anybody here knows the chemical makeup of the fluid in your brand of highlighter. Considering how much everything else related to the tank costs, just buy another tank!

m3rcury
10/04/2006, 01:02 PM
i also doubt the manufacturer will be able to tell you if anything in the composition of the fluid will hard corals/fish. heck, i'm still shocked that i can put crazy glue and plumber's epoxy in my tank. on the other hand, a little soap will wipe a tank.

J3 L U N T
10/04/2006, 05:50 PM
damn thank you all for the prompt answers! i guess im going to go out and get another tank... as said it is only 10 bux.