PDA

View Full Version : What will take care of all this Hermit poo?!

phuntoon
10/04/2006, 09:40 AM
I have a 3g pico that's been set up for a few weeks. Last weekend I got the cleanup crew. 3 blue legged hermits and 3 astrea snails. The algae is getting gobbled up nicely but these little hermits are like mini wood chippers: in with the algae, out with a little mini poo log. I think I can siphon off the ones that are on the rocks when I do a water change, but I don't want to disturb the sandbed and there's poo logs on there too. Is there another addition to the cleanup crew I need to eat their crap, or will it just breakdown on it's own? Could these poo logs eventually affect water quality? Thanks for any help!

Paintbug
10/04/2006, 09:54 AM
it should eventually break down into the water. with a tank that small i doubt you are running a skimmer, so water changes become the only way of waste removal. this is very important so you dont end up with excess waste build up, which leads to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate problems. 1/2 gallon weekly would be good.

phuntoon
10/04/2006, 03:05 PM
Cool, 1/2 gallon a week is what I'm doing. Was just wondering if there were any cleanup creatures that will eat it cause my spotless white sandbed has.......spots....of tird logs.

Paintbug
10/04/2006, 03:10 PM
usually if you have enough current going, they are gone in a day or less. blowning them around with a turkey baster will help as well.

Sk8r
10/04/2006, 05:13 PM
Bristleworms will break it down. If you dont' have them, get them.

rodd1rj
10/04/2006, 05:25 PM
but dont touch them...they sting. The worms not the logs.