PDA

View Full Version : RED SLIME ALGAE Continues

Raland271
10/04/2006, 09:19 AM
Hello All-

I have had a red slime algae problem for about 6 weeks now. All my parameters are good, I have turned down the lights from 12 hours to 9. I do regular 20% water changes every 2 weeks and do about 5-10% every Friday. I feed once a day and have reduced the amount of food. The algae is just on the substrate not on the live rock. I just want to know if anyone has any suggestions or is it a time issue.

Thanks alot

dareefking
10/04/2006, 09:31 AM
Have you tried Chemi-Clean? It helped in my tank a couple months back when I had cyano appear.

Of course I have it in my 10 gal. and I think it keeps coming back due to poor filtration or lack of water movement, but in my 72 it worked great.

fufi5
10/04/2006, 09:51 AM
Had the same problem with red slime algae (cyano) on my 20gal tank FO. All parameters checked ok, took a sampleof water to my LFS and found out high phosphate levels. I was doing my water changes with RO, LFS advised to increase the amount of water change (to dilute phosphate and to get it as close to zero), went from 25% water change to 50%. Now I only do a 50% water change monthly, haven't seen any red slime algea since. Also, have a polyfilter on my hob filter to absorb ammonia, nitrates & phosphate. If you have a sump, try some cheato to keep your phosphate & nitrates down. Hope this helps.

hodsgod
10/04/2006, 10:40 AM
Chemicals will only hide the symptoms of the problem, Cyano can/may be cured by reducing the amount of food or increasing the water flow.

Jocko
10/04/2006, 12:17 PM
My first thought would be flow. What flow-creating equipment is in your system right now. It's a 100 gallon, right?

papagimp
10/04/2006, 12:35 PM
I second the recommendation for Cheato in the sump, cured all my cyno problems.

Raland271
10/04/2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have a SEIO 820 and 600. I have adjusted them to try and maximize the flow close to the substrate. I have seen cheato as a recommendation are there any changes I would have to make to my sump which is a 20 gallon. I would rather not use chemicals I want to ge to the source. I use RO/DI water and my unit is less than 3 months old. Great advice so far.

papagimp
10/04/2006, 02:22 PM
I don't know the sump setup you have but the only real concern about adding cheato would be, keeping it out of the return pump, don't want a clog now do we. I use siliconed-in baffles (DIY) but you can use some rubble rock to separate the cheato from the return pump intake. I've used Chemi-clean before with no ill effects to my tank. It's great to get it out of the way quickly and then let the cheato take over from there.