PDA

View Full Version : Built-in Tank

zach202
10/04/2006, 06:48 AM
Alright,

Now that I'm about to actually get the tank to ATL, I guess I need a few suggestions on the stand. While I want to do a wall built in this isn't possible due to the structural support for the upstairs going through the wall that the tank is on so I must compromise. I'm going to build it out from the wall (like a fireplace or built in bookshelf) but make it part of the wall.

Has anyone done this?
Any thoughts on the look of it?

What about the stand construction?
I was planning on using a 2X4 support system.
What do I cover it in though? I was planning on covering it in drywall but something tells me that isn't going to work well. Any other ideas? Or will it be fine? There will be a sump under it also if that matters.

Tigger240
10/04/2006, 07:15 AM
i would make the tank a free standing item, that is either placed against the wall and finished in a way to give the appearance of being connected to the wall. Or you could fasten it to the wall with a few screws but you have two independant structures. Zooqi has a stone tank facade that looks really good, and theres a 120 on here that looks like its a bookshelf all around, its really nice. ill post a link if i find it. You could put a horizontal beam in your wall above your tank so that you can do a true in wall, there is some set ups on the board that have done exactly that. I would get an architect or engineer involved tho.

matthewdmueller
10/04/2006, 07:55 AM
I used shelves on either side of my tank, with a filler over the top of the tank that pops off for cleaning and access. I set everything a couple of feet from the wall so that I could use that as a fish room of sorts. Worked out well for me since I cant cut holes in my apartment walls. Check out my pics, I hope that they help. Oh, I just used a regular store bought stand but no one can see it because it is behind the couch all of the time anyway.
Here are the links:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=185471&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=185473&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

zach202
10/04/2006, 02:54 PM
Alright, so does anyone have anything negative to say about the all-glass 90gal with the back overflow? Cappichino Bay can have it there Friday for $270 plus tax, that seems to be the best deal (not to mention awesome stuff). Has anyone had any issues with the all-glass built in? Ive currently got an external overflow and would really like a little more fullprof system.

Also, do you really need to buy the overflow plumbing? Im assuming you could buy the parts seperatly and make it better not to mention save some money.

drauka99
10/04/2006, 04:39 PM
I have an old 90 all glass but without the overflow. it als doesn't have the center brace. I need to add one. Nothing wrong with the tank at all. I have a friend who built in a 150 but something to think about is cleaning and getting to everything. He has a hard time getting to the bottom of the tank beacause of how high it is set and plumbing is a pain because there is absolutly no way to get behind the tank. Just stuff to keep in mind.

ReefBuilderNJ
10/04/2006, 05:13 PM
it would be best to use all wood and no sheetrock if possible. the sheetrock almost always gets moist one time or another.

Yose
10/04/2006, 05:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8276903#post8276903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefBuilderNJ
it would be best to use all wood and no sheetrock if possible. the sheetrock almost always gets moist one time or another.
Greenboard baby!

zach202
10/04/2006, 07:52 PM
All-Glass says that the 90gal overflow will handle 600gph, is this enough flow? Would there ever be a need for more?

Yose
10/05/2006, 06:48 AM
No it's not enough flow... but it's good enough for the filtration system... Increase the flow in the aquarium by adding a closed loop (using a pressure rated pump and some penductors) or add Tunze streams :)