PDA

View Full Version : upgrading from a 75 to a 125gallon

ganjero
10/03/2006, 11:35 PM
Am i gonna have a mini cycle or a crash when I upgrade from a 75 to a 125?

tkeracer619
10/03/2006, 11:38 PM
how do you plan on switching tanks?

mg426
10/03/2006, 11:56 PM
Yep a few more details will say loads.

ganjero
10/03/2006, 11:57 PM
Taking the water and rocks out and putting them in a container, the corals in other container with water from the tank, then moving the old tank out and placing the new one in the same spot. Add the live sand then water and rocks and new water, and finally the corals.

mg426
10/04/2006, 12:33 AM
Thats the way i would do it.

ganjero
10/04/2006, 02:41 PM
any othe thought? do I have to add more live rock?

JamesJR
10/04/2006, 02:48 PM
It really depends on how much. If you add more rock that isn't cured properly than you may have problems.

Jagermeister
10/04/2006, 03:20 PM
Do you have a deep sand bed now? I've read a couple threads where people have had major crashes after upgrading or moving their tanks. The one thing in common with these crashes is a deep sand bed was moved. The general theory is that the disturbed sand bed releases all sorts of nutrients, chemicals, etc. into the water column.

It's been advised when setting up the new system to use new sand or wash the sand from the old tank. Saving the top 1" or so of the old sand bed and adding it to the new tank may help seed the new/washed sand bed faster.

JamesJR
10/04/2006, 10:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8276117#post8276117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jagermeister
Do you have a deep sand bed now? I've read a couple threads where people have had major crashes after upgrading or moving their tanks. The one thing in common with these crashes is a deep sand bed was moved. The general theory is that the disturbed sand bed releases all sorts of nutrients, chemicals, etc. into the water column.

It's been advised when setting up the new system to use new sand or wash the sand from the old tank. Saving the top 1" or so of the old sand bed and adding it to the new tank may help seed the new/washed sand bed faster.

You are absolutely right. In the bottom of a deep sandbed you can have sulfur reducing bacteria that produce hydrogen sulfide. This has a very pungent rotten egg smell and don't inhale much of it because it is quite toxic. If you are in doubt, stick some hose in the tank and try to siphon a little sand from the deepest part of your sand bed. If it has this smell than don't try and disturb the sand until you have taken all of your fish, corals and rocks out of the tank.