PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a newly-acquired used tank

wardworld
10/03/2006, 09:22 PM
Just bought a 125 gal and want to clean it. A couple of questions:
1. Is there a really good method/product to get the salt scum and other marine-related junk off of the overflow boxes?
2. Is it wise to remove the overflow boxes to try and clean everything thoroughly. They appear to be "siliconed" in (using a black silicone) very securely. Should I just scrape them out and clean all the junk out of the bottom of the boxes.
3. Any other cleaning ideas would be appreciated.
-Daryl

sir_dudeguy
10/03/2006, 11:40 PM
white vinegar works good. IF you got any pumps used too, just run them in a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water overnight..should be good. For the tank, just scrub it down with the solution.

dugg
10/04/2006, 12:02 AM
The easiest way is to go buy some citric acid, in the canning section at the grocery, fill the tank with water and add the citric acid. Let it sit over night, then drain rinse and wipe. Spotless clean and all natural.

drummereef
10/04/2006, 12:33 AM
You can also use a mild bleach solution to disinfect. Just make sure to use a dechlorinator in the rinse water to neutralize the chlorine.

wardworld
10/04/2006, 05:43 AM
Great ideas, thanks...any ideas on removing the overflow boxes (they're sealed to the glass)??? Is this a bad idea or is it just a PITA and not worth messing with. I'm up for the hassle, but I don't want to totally screw up the tank design.

Steven Pro
10/04/2006, 07:53 AM
I would not attempt to remove the overflow boxes.

I like to clean first with bleach, drain and rinse, and then repeat with white wine vinegar. The bleach sterilizes things and helps remove organic crud while the vinegar will help to remove calcium deposits.

wardworld
10/04/2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks Steven...that's what I'll do