PDA

View Full Version : I got a sea apple...any suggestions?!

courtneyclv
10/03/2006, 06:55 PM
I got a sea apple that I have seen at my LFS for months. It is so freaky looking that I had to buy it. I got it plankton food in a can (dont know the brand exactly) and a dropper to feed him.

As long as fish dont pick on it, and it doesnt die (becaue it is poisonoius) Will it be ok? I am planning to get fish that are reef safe just in case..

Or should I return him?

http://www.thepetstop.com/adminpics/22618.jpg

bertoni
10/03/2006, 07:10 PM
I'd return it. They are filter feeders that need a lot of food, so they often starve. If they die, they often poison the tank as the decay releases toxins into the tank.

If you keep it, you might want to add guards to any powerheads, etc, in the tank, since these animals sometimes wander into the inputs and get manged.

hansonfam
10/03/2006, 07:42 PM
I would return it as well. I had a friend that had one and all was fine and great when she went to bed and when she got up everything was dead. It had died overnight for no apparent reason and wiped her tank out.
Very pretty but not meant to be in our tanks:)

Lisa

kelly630
10/03/2006, 08:21 PM
They are weird looking and I'd like to have one as well, but am not willing to risk it! I don't want to have everything in the tank dead one day...

If you can, try to take him back before he dies!

t-bone2
10/03/2006, 08:24 PM
get a seperate tank like 10 gal and put it in that way if it dies not big deal plus it will be able to consume everyting on its own