PDA

View Full Version : Is this the way?

pjos11
10/03/2006, 04:06 PM
I have been looking at this site and think its a good idea. But do you!! :(

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=206

Tell me what you think if this, is a good idea? each species could be researched well in advance.

MCary
10/03/2006, 05:44 PM
I would not use the equipment on the list. The built in filter is probably a trickle filter. I don't like em. I wouldn't use the black silica sand. I like arogonite if any. I'm a barebottom guy actually. And I think Ebo-Jager is a better heater than visi-therm. I prefer T5's over PC for lights.

In step one if I was going to use my tank to mix my saltwater, I would add the water and the salt first, stir it with a power head and then when the SG is where I wanted it, I would then add the sand.

In step two I would never buy a prism skimmer. Get a coralife super skimmer or turbofloater if low on funds, get an ASM or AquaC if some funds, get euroreef or deltec if loaded. I wouldn't add clean up crew until I saw some diatoms. They need to eat.

Good list of beginner soft corals. I might run carbon in a canister with them just in case there's some chemical warfare happening.

I wouldn't put 8 fish in a 46 gallon. Especially any tangs or any fish listed as "small" Small fish grow. Unless you plan on eating them later, get fish that stay small. I have 9 fish in a 150 gallon and I think I'm fully stocked. Stick with 6 fish.

You don't dose anything you can't test for. Water changes especially with a good salt like Tropic Marin is all you need for iodine and strontium. Calcium and Alk are best dosed by beginners with a good 2 part but only after testing shows a need.
Get some good test kits.

Mike

silverwolf72
10/03/2006, 05:46 PM
Seems about right, I would do more water changes.

bertoni
10/03/2006, 07:38 PM
I don't much like the equipment, either. That skimmer doesn't get good reviews, and that's too many fish for that size tank, in my opinion as well. I think tangs are a particularly bad choice for such a small tank. I guess I could go on...