PDA

View Full Version : Green hair algae?

TomDe
10/03/2006, 03:52 PM
My 30 gal. tank has been set up for about 9 weeks. It is full of zoos and other soft corals.

I have 2 O clowns, and 1 Royal Gamma.

I have not been using RO/DI water. I ordered a unit last week and it should actually be here tomorrow.

Yesterday I noticed some green hair algae on a couple of pieces of LR. I have also been getting brown diatoms on the glass that I clean every few days.

If I start doing PWC with RO/DI this week and watch my feeding will this go away on its own? Do I pull it off or leave it?

Thanks

neuroslicer
10/03/2006, 04:11 PM
Pull it off if you can, and then starve iwhatever hair algae is left by depriving it of nutrients (nitrates and phosphates). First you'll need to get nitrate and phosphate test kits. If the PWC and reduced feedings don't get nitrates down below 10 ppm then you'll have to resort to other means of reducing nutrient levels(like growing macroalgae to export nitrates, using a deep sand bed to convert nitrates to nitrogen). Phosphates can be chelated with Phosban. Report back on your nutrient levels once you test them.

davocean
10/03/2006, 04:14 PM
If you have too many corals to pull rock out and scrub, pull big pieces out by hand.
Add some snails like astreas and maybe even a lawnmower blenny.
Maybe some rowaphos in a mesh bag placed in a slow moving hangon.
It's a bummer starting out without RO water.