PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Gloves

MattAranda
10/03/2006, 03:19 PM
Does anybody use gloves when poking around in their aquarium, and if so, what kind?

m3rcury
10/03/2006, 03:34 PM
i ALWAYS do. there's too much bacteria, toxins, etc. in the aquarium to risk it. a simple scrap on a piece of live rock can become a painful infection. also, gloves help protect the livestock by helping keep some of the crap on my hands out of the tank.

i primarily use nitrile gloves for routine cleaning, feeding, etc. you can get them at any walgreens or whatever. i know some people use latex gloves instead of nitrile. i don't think it matters much.

i use the shoulder length, heavy-duty coralife gloves for more extensive work (e.g. moving around LR).

Andrew
10/03/2006, 03:41 PM
I use non-powered gloves from wally-world.

Bebo77
10/03/2006, 03:51 PM
naa nothing, i used to use those thick gloves but i could not feel anything...

TurboDeath
10/03/2006, 03:58 PM
The long shoulder length gloves are best. (Orange/Purple ones)

davocean
10/03/2006, 04:01 PM
Whatta you gotta feel?
I mean, we're still talkin' tanks right?!
After my maroon has been harassing me I will be using gloves.
It really is better for you and your fish.

m3rcury
10/03/2006, 04:15 PM
as someone mentioned, make SURE to get the non-powdered latex/nitrile gloves.

the simple fact of the matter is... better safe than sorry. and, if the latex/nitrile gloves are good enough for surgery, then i figure i can do anything in my tank i need to with them on. they are extremely cheap and add that extra measure of protection for you and your livestock.

trendle
10/03/2006, 04:16 PM
Alright, I can understand not wanting to introduce your skin oils into such a small tank, or wearing gloves if you are allergic to corals when handling them.

But really, do you worry when swimming in the ocean? :)

I think gloves should be used in cases where the animal's safety requires it, not the other way around...

rkelman
10/03/2006, 04:17 PM
aren't the Nitrile / latex gloves a tad short? My tank is 24" deep. Standard surgeon type gloves are what 6"?

MCary
10/03/2006, 04:23 PM
For arranging rockwork in a Lion tank, I would go with the midevil platemail gauntlet.

MattAranda
10/03/2006, 04:39 PM
hahaha thanks guys, I appreciate all the suggestions! I am moving the live rock around tonight and needed a little insight, thanks! I have a Walgreens and a Wal Mart just two blocks from work, Im sold!

davocean
10/03/2006, 04:39 PM
There was a post on here a while back by someone who got an infection from something that punctured his finger.
Looked VERY gross and painful.
Wish I could find that pic.
If there was ever a poster pic for wearing gloves!
I bet someone here will have it and post it.

m3rcury
10/03/2006, 04:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8269470#post8269470 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trendle
Alright, I can understand not wanting to introduce your skin oils into such a small tank, or wearing gloves if you are allergic to corals when handling them.

But really, do you worry when swimming in the ocean? :)

I think gloves should be used in cases where the animal's safety requires it, not the other way around...

it is up to you whether you wear gloves or not.

if you care to read about other people's experiences, i suggest these threads:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414029
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/sp/feature/index.php

also, don't forget about the toxins in zoos and polyps - though that is typically only a problem if you are fraggin them.

as for me, i'd rather be safe than sorry, but that's just me. seems like a pretty trivial thing to put on latex gloves.

davocean
10/03/2006, 04:45 PM
That first one is the one I was talking about!
GNARRLLYY!!!

MattAranda
10/03/2006, 05:11 PM
Solid work, I appreciate it! I think the hand pictures are fairly convincing. I was more afraid of a crab or pistol shrimp latching on. Im obviously a newbie at this salwater aquarium game though!

kelly630
10/03/2006, 08:50 PM
Wow. That pic is certainly an eye-opener. I'll definitely use gloves.

Do you think that latex gloves (non-powdered) are thick enough?

hodsgod
10/03/2006, 10:50 PM
I don't use anything, I rinse my hands in tap water before putting them in the tank though (no soap).

saltman123
10/04/2006, 12:18 AM
I use the big heavy Coralife gloves (Orange/Purple) since that is all I have. They are bulky and thick, excellent for aquascaping and moving stuff around. But for small quick reach ins, they are sort of a pain. I am looking for a simple pair of gloves that I can use, probably the cheapo latex kind that are unpowedered.

tkeracer619
10/04/2006, 12:49 AM
hahaha when this poped up i was ready to pounce with seant's post. Man that is rediculous.

This is the reason I run a UV sterilizer more than anything else. The less of what causes that the better. I don't use gloves, but have had a few close calls with stuff in the tank. Now that I have a foxface im gonna have to be even more carefull.

So far I have been stuck by 10+ urchin spines and had blood drawn by my kole tang. One night after moving rocks and touching these polyps a few times my index finger was purple.

Come to think of it. Im gonna get some gloves. i need to do some coral moving.

silverarrow27
10/04/2006, 02:32 AM
Even those thin latex gloves won't prevent scrapes and cuts from sharp ledges on the rocks. If you're just gonna use latex gloves, may as well not use anything at all...so thin that even a bristle from a bristleworm would go right through it easily into your fingers.

If you're going to use gloves, get some thick rubber ones that actually serves a purpose.

Steven Pro
10/04/2006, 06:24 AM
These are the gloves I use,
http://www.labsafety.com/store/Safety_Supplies/Gloves/Chemical_Resistant_Gloves/12541/

saltman123
10/04/2006, 09:40 AM
These are the coralife many people use:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ES09505

I use these and will probably pic up a normal pair of those yellow ones that are used in the kitchen for lighter work.

Jocko
10/04/2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah I think the people who brag about not using gloves will change their tune after their first brush with a large bristle worm or a little dose of Zoa toxin absorbed through the skin.

saltman123
10/04/2006, 01:18 PM
After reading the stories of people fingers turning purple and alien-like, to a guys dog dying, I am wearing gloves!!!!!:)

They are definitely a pain but its better safe than sorry.

MattAranda
10/04/2006, 04:09 PM
I purchased regular PLAYTEX cleaning gloves last night at Wal Mart, they were a whopping $1.25 or something ridiculously cheap like that. These will hold me over until I order the Coralife Gloves, thanks for the help!

2farNorth
10/04/2006, 07:20 PM
I use the 'reefsleeves' from The filter guys,, http://thefilterguys.biz/reef_sleeves.htm they are somewhat cheap, but not that strong for heavy duty stuff,..... good for general use!!