PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain Sump

alvarez
10/03/2006, 12:33 PM
I understand you need a overflow box for the water to overflow in to. I think from there you attach a hose that runs the water down into a hidden tub or aquarium under the aquarium. from there you can run a skimmer on the hidden tub and then you need a pump to pump the water back to the aquarium.

Am I right? I have yet to see a detailed setup to understand it perfectly but I think I have it right. I saw a hidden tub recently that was just a white tub instead of an aquarium.. I thought thats a good idea I bet they saved a lot of money by using a tub instead of an aquarium. I asked the LFS and he said no no no it is much better to use an aquarium instead of a tub, he said he didn't know all the reasons why but an aquarium is better..... line of crap right?

trendle
10/03/2006, 01:03 PM
Check out http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

alvarez
10/03/2006, 01:36 PM
In other words I think you are saying yes... I understand it. That picture looks pretty much exactly as I described I think.

akrimmel
10/03/2006, 01:42 PM
the lfs said the aquarium was better to get more money out of you

alvarez
10/03/2006, 01:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8268499#post8268499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by akrimmel
the lfs said the aquarium was better to get more money out of you

Yea I figured that... where can I get the white tubs or any tubs from that would be good for using? I had though about buying a trash can and sawing it in half and using the lower half under the aquarium but I imagine I might be able to find a white tub like I saw under that aquarium at the restaraunt somewhere.

papagimp
10/03/2006, 02:00 PM
depending on the size tank you are working with, i use a 10g sump for my 55g, It was alot cheaper to buy the 10g than a rubber maid tub. And as far as tubs are concerned, a simple rubbermaid from walmart works nicely. Unless you have a preference for white tubs. I read somewhere that if you take the lid for the tub, cut an opening in the top so you still have the "frame" to put on your tub, this will help secure and act almost like a euro-bracing to keep the tub from splitting open and making a bit of a mess.

chopsuey
10/03/2006, 02:13 PM
You can also check the DIY section of the forms to find good articles on Do It Your Self sumps :D

alvarez
10/03/2006, 02:18 PM
my tank is 75g I figured a 20g tub would be great

akrimmel
10/03/2006, 02:23 PM
you can buy standard 10-20 gal tanks for next to nothing at petsmart/petco.