PDA

View Full Version : No Sick Fish

jdowntain
10/03/2006, 11:05 AM
My LFS just gave a sample of the product No Sick Fish. Has anyone tried this? Any success? I just removed my carbon and added another sponge to the filtration. I also turned off my skimmer and added two drops of No Sick Fish.

jdowntain
10/03/2006, 11:11 AM
I posted earlier that I had a problem ich on a blue hippo. I went buy some RO for the hospital tank set up and they gave me a sample of the No Sick Fish. (sorry, not clear enough for the thread)

bertoni
10/03/2006, 08:02 PM
I've never seen any evidence that it works. I'd set up a hospital tank and run hyposalinity.

conefree
10/03/2006, 08:24 PM
I haven't heard any success stories yet, and for what they're charging, there should be by now.

jdowntain
10/03/2006, 08:50 PM
It has been 9 hrs. since I put the first drops of No Sick Fish in my tank. I just got home from school about 9:30pm EST. and noticed that some of the white dots HAVE DISAPPEARED on the Blue Hippo. I don't know if the drops had anything to with the dissappearance or not. The instructions say the white dots will be gone within 24 hrs. The site is www.nosickfish.com Everybody should look at it. Let me know what you all think.

Capt_Cully
10/03/2006, 09:07 PM
I had a pretty bad outbreak at one time. I tried No Sick Fish, but the problem was they recommend turning off your skimmer while you're dosing it. Usually about a week.

I had MUCH better success using garlic marinade to prepare frozen mysis and brine shrimp. I used it religiously for about a month and have not seen ANY ick in at least 7 months, maybe longer. Just my experience.

jdowntain
10/04/2006, 08:02 AM
UPDATE: I woke up this morning to find the white dots (ich) gone!The Blue Hippo looks as healthy as when I first brought it home. I will continue to put these drops in as recommended and keep a very close eye on my ammonia since the protein skimmer has to be turned off for this to work.

THANKS NO SICK FISH!

Shagsbeard
10/04/2006, 08:43 AM
Just to let you in on Ick... the white dots are symptoms of one stage of Ick's development. Ick is a parasite that spends some time in water, some in your rock or on surfaces, and some in your fish. The white dots are the parasite leaving your fish to head back for the water.

You probably still have ick in the tank, even if you can get the white dots to go away.

Ick has a six week life cycle. I'd continue dosing for six weeks and see if that helped before I'd thank anyone.

Capt_Cully
10/04/2006, 09:05 AM
If you stick with no sick fish, i would concur with Shagsbeard! Just cause you don't see it, doesn't mean it's gone!

bureau13
10/04/2006, 09:31 AM
My problem with this stuff is that they don't say what's in it (I guess if it really works I wouldn't either if I wanted to sell it), they won't show any scientific studies proving it works (although they claim to have them) and they won't give any sort of guarantee that it works, telling me that I may have a tougher strain of ich. Whatever...you have to give me SOMETHING beyond "We're selling it, its expensive, therefore it must work."

The problem with testimonials like the ones here is that they MIGHT prove something, but by themselves they do not. If one of your fish gets ich and you do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, the initial few specs will often disappear. Then, they may or may not come back stronger, depending on the health of your fish. So how to know if NSF or ANY of the "mystery meds" that are available actually work? Even a side-by-side study attempting to recreate identical conditions would be difficult without massive repetition, since you have no way of knowing the relative health and immunity of two supposedly identical fish.

jds

jdowntain
10/04/2006, 11:12 AM
QUESTION: when you set up a QTtank with no sand and no live rock how do you create the bacteria your fish need to survive. Also DO you lower the selenity gradually after you put the fish in or shock the fish to the new water with salenity at 1.010.

bertoni
10/04/2006, 01:05 PM
A sponge filter or bio-wheel can be started with a small piece of fish food now and then.

I'd lower the salinity from normal to 1.009 over a day or two, based on the various guesses I've seen in articles, etc.