PDA

View Full Version : Coral QT

alkataz
10/03/2006, 11:05 AM
I have a question for those who qt their corals. I already have several corals in my display tanks with no issue with bugs or worms (thank heavens), but I have never qt'ed any of them. I'm kind of getting a little nervous about adding any new ones now though. Most of the ones I have were added early on when my tank wasn't that mature, but I have invested a lot of time and money into the tank over the years and I'm feeling anxious about accidently exposing it to something bad.

All that being said. I currently have a 10 gallon QT. It has a emperor filter, 50 watt heater and some pvc and a all glass aquarium strip light. What Kind of lighting do I need to use for the tank so I can qt coral? I have heard that you need to leave them in there for at least 2 - 3 weeks and I don't think the coral do well if left that long with just the strip lights.

tkeracer619
10/03/2006, 11:24 AM
I am doing this also.

My solution is jam pack a bunch of overdriven no light from home depot on top of it. I had the stuff laying around other than the bulbs so I decided to give it a go.

I'm pretty sure most all coral will be ok under this lighting for a month. If not I will upgrade.

If I was to have to buy it all i would probably do a diy t5 setup.

alkataz
10/03/2006, 12:43 PM
I was thinking going a t5 setup, but I didn't want to overdo it on such a small tank. Maybe some VHOs will do the trick.