PDA

View Full Version : Needing to ask questions? Edit your profile!

Sk8r
10/03/2006, 10:49 AM
Your Profile gives other members details about your tank that they need to know. If your fish are at the surface gasping, it's no time to be asking back and forth How big is your tank, what skimmer are you using, how many fish, etc. All that should be below your sig, and it's the first place I look when trying to help someone.

How to update that? Go to "MY RC" above. Where it says "Edit Profile" on the options bar, click. Scroll down. You'll get to: Experience---[this is also useful for us to know: have you any idea what we mean when we say what's your alk? or do we need to spell it out?] AND you'll get to: Tank Description. Tell us your tank size, main pump, skimmer, lighting, and the kind of coral/fish you keep.

That way we have the picture at a glance. We know what we're dealing with and we don't have to delay help in a crisis while we exchange Q and A.

While you're in there you can also add clever sayings to your sig and anything else that amuses you. But that basic info on experience and tank is really, really helpful.

tkeracer619
10/03/2006, 10:59 AM
Bump for teh noobs ^^

Arnold says "Run for the choppa!"

Sk8r
10/03/2006, 12:57 PM
Thank you, tkeracer.

divecj5
10/03/2006, 02:09 PM
One of the first things I did as a newb :smokin:

Sk8r
10/04/2006, 12:20 AM
Sometimes you can feel the angst on the other end, like: "My new fish is gasping at the top of the water...what do I do?" But without knowing the tank, the pump, the level of expertise [probably new] and the species, there's not much I can do but ask that and wait, and hope the fish holds out.

CrystalAZ
10/04/2006, 02:20 AM
I also like it when people put their location - I can then direct locals to our regional groups. Don't worry - the stalkers and identity thieves won't find you with just a state. :D

Crystal

petoonia
10/04/2006, 02:35 AM
When someone is offering their opinion or advice, it is nice to know how long they have been in the hobby, and what type of set up they have!

I filled out my profile as soon as I signed up!

AdidaKev
10/04/2006, 07:59 AM
Good thread, Sk8r. I don't get why more people don't do it in the first place. For me, too, it was one of the first things I did when I signed up.

PatMayo
10/04/2006, 11:11 PM
yup, keep it current.

Regards,

Pat