PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a hammer coral?

MikeP471612
10/02/2006, 12:43 PM
I have a small reef tank going and I'm stocking it up with as many corals as I can fit because I am setting up a large reef tank in the next few months. Someone locally is selling a hammer coral (with three heads) that I have room for and I like the looks of but what is it like to keep? My tank has 55watts of PC lighting and I would say medium flow. I'm sure it will be fine in the larger tank but I wanted to make sure it will be ok in my smaller tank for the time being. How aggresive is it? Will it move form the spot I put it in or do hammers just stay where you put them? How do I handle this coral? I read somewhere that it stings, I have never had a coral that stings. Will it attack other corals or harm my fish?

Thanks for any help

TNTREEF
10/02/2006, 12:54 PM
they stay where you put them. if they are with in 1-2" from anything else that other coral will get stung. hold it by the skeleton. may need more light though.

MikeP471612
10/02/2006, 01:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8262284#post8262284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TNTREEF
may need more light though.
The large tank will have much better lighting, it will only be in the 30g for a few months

johnnybravo234
10/02/2006, 09:12 PM
It should be fine if you keep it mid to high. Keep it out of direct flow. Give it a bit of brine shrimp a couple times a week. And keep it away from other inverts especially stinging inverts because they can harm it too. It wont sting you though however they are delicate. Grab it from its base like tntreef stated.