PDA

View Full Version : Angel compatible with reef

Hens4Fish
09/30/2006, 12:39 PM
Ok,
I am looking for experienced advice. I have a 150 with about 4 tangs(all very docile). A copperbanded butterfly, couple clowns. For corals I have large toadstool, yellow figi, lots of frilly mushrooms, some hard corals, pink birds nest, moni cap., tons of zoas, yellow star polyps, misc. mushrooms. So my question is, what kind of angel would not eat any or much of these corals? I would like a flame, or regal, or emperor. Please give any advice on successful reef angels.
Thanks,
Bill
P.S. Here is a pic of the tank.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j125/hens4fish/Tangs3.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j125/hens4fish/Tangs.jpg

reefshadow
09/30/2006, 01:45 PM
Hey Hens-

I think you are going to find that in most peoples' experience the centropyge angels are your best bet. Some folks have kept the larger angels successfully though in a reef setting.

I have kept multiple centropyge over the years and have found them to be very hit and miss. The worst by far was an eiblii. Flames, c.b.'s, lemonpeels and potters were middling, and the little c. argi was by far the best.

I've found that all the angels will nip to "sample" a coral. Whether the behavior continues or not is anyones guess.

Another thought is that with 4 tangs you are getting pretty loaded up with fish, so IMO a smaller fish would be more desireable.

I would recommend one of the centropyge or a seperate FOWLR tank for a large angel.

Good luck! :)

Hens4Fish
09/30/2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, could you give a pic of this angel, or the basic name? I have never heard of it before. I agree with not having too many fish though. Thanks again.

reefshadow
09/30/2006, 02:02 PM
Sorry, centropyge are any of the "pygmy" or "dwarf" angels. Flame, coral beauty, lemonpeel, potters, argi, and many others fall into this category. They are hit and miss with corals, but generally thought of as safer than the large angels.

Hens4Fish
09/30/2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks, and good luck with the pirate thing.

TrojanScott
09/30/2006, 02:23 PM
I see 5 tangs! Your tank is about at it's limit, IMO. I'm not a tang policeman by any stretch, but for a 150, I'd be done with fish at this point.

Hens4Fish
09/30/2006, 02:52 PM
Good call, I was wondering if anyone would catch that. So not even a flame?

mraafat
09/30/2006, 03:04 PM
I purchased a flame angel from liveaquaria about a year ago, and I was lucky to recieve a perfectly reef safe specimen. A couple of months ago I purhased a lemonpeel angel for a different tank, and totally destroyed my corals. So it really is a hit or miss with these dwarf angels. I do however hear that the coral beauty has the highest level of being reef safe, flames I think are 50/50, and i haven't seen any reefsafe lemonpeels so far. If you check this website out: http://www.rcthawaii.com/
they are working on breeding reefsafe angels, and you may ocassionaly purchase one when available for an absurd price. Good luck!

Hens4Fish
09/30/2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks, I am looking into a flame. I really wanted a baby french, queen, or emperor, but I don't think I have the room. Has anyone had luck with blue girdled?