PDA

View Full Version : Clapton is STILL God!!!!!!

clavery
09/30/2006, 08:22 AM
Hubby took me to an Eric Clapton concert on Thursday night at Madison Square Garden. I think the average age of the audience was about 55 - my husband was the youngest adult NOT attending with parents!!!!;) But let me tell you, that crowd rocked. I've never seen so many middle-aged folks just getting down to some really good rock and roll.

Of course, the champagne with strawberries and cocktail bar reminded me that we're not the mud dancing, kool-aid punch drinking crowd we used to be, but we still rock...

And Clapton is still God!!!!

Rock on, my friends...

:)

Gawain1974
09/30/2006, 08:25 AM
So, you telling me that you weren't down in the mosh pit?

I hope you rewarded your husband accordingly. ;)

BigSkyBart
09/30/2006, 08:26 AM
If not God, at least the king of his profession.

(sorry elvis)

clavery
09/30/2006, 08:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251140#post8251140 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gawain1974
So, you telling me that you weren't down in the mosh pit?

I hope you rewarded your husband accordingly. ;)

Dear Les, my days of moshing are long over, unfortunately.

And of course my husband was rewarded accordingly - I'm still married to him!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

hubris007
09/30/2006, 08:30 AM
I loved that interview with Fox News the other day. That was a riot. The interviewer didn't know what hit him! Heh

Edit: Woops, thought you said Clinton.

dc
09/30/2006, 08:44 AM
LOL, he hasn't lost his touch has he? I'm not a concert goer but I love his music.

kfisc
09/30/2006, 08:54 AM
He is amazing. Mrs. Kfisc just 'ain't impressed with my old Led Zeppelin records; Yes annoys her, she thinks Steely Dan sounds like a bunch of barflys, but EC can do no wrong. Methinks it's like Robert Redford movies...ANY Robert Redford movie.

clavery
09/30/2006, 08:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251237#post8251237 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kfisc
He is amazing. Mrs. Kfisc just 'ain't impressed with my old Led Zeppelin records; Yes annoys her, she thinks Steely Dan sounds like a bunch of barflys, but EC can do no wrong. Methinks it's like Robert Redford movies...ANY Robert Redford movie.

I'm with the Missus on this one, although I was devastated to realize that my idol was wearing hush puppies and bi-focals when he filmed MTV Unplugged!!!!!!;)

dc
09/30/2006, 09:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251259#post8251259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clavery
I'm with the Missus on this one, although I was devastated to realize that my idol was wearing hush puppies and bi-focals when he filmed MTV Unplugged!!!!!!;)

LOL, well he aint getting any younger! Dan pulled out an old album, 'The London Howlin Wolf Session' has Eric Clapton in it with B&W photos. Looks pretty young there. I'm sure that album is at least 25 years old. :D

BigSkyBart
09/30/2006, 09:33 AM
off the top of my head, bands that EC was in
Cream (clapton, bruce, baker)
Yardbirds (clapton, beck, page)
Derek & the Dominoes
Blind Faith(clapton, winwood, baker)
I think he also did a few concert gigs with lennon and the plastic ono band, also a longstanding rumor he played on the beatles (while my guitar gently weeps) studio version, because there wasn't a beatle that could play as well as Eric.
His career is a long and star studded list, I'm sure he played with more than I know and influenced more than I can imagine

DHyslop
09/30/2006, 09:58 AM
I think its accepted that he played guitar on that tune. George Harrison's wife was the supposed inspiration for Layla.

Dan

stlrams88
09/30/2006, 10:05 AM
Im seeing him when he comes here i cant wait.

clavery
09/30/2006, 10:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251353#post8251353 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart
off the top of my head, bands that EC was in
Cream (clapton, bruce, baker)
Yardbirds (clapton, beck, page)
Derek & the Dominoes
Blind Faith(clapton, winwood, baker)
I think he also did a few concert gigs with lennon and the plastic ono band, also a longstanding rumor he played on the beatles (while my guitar gently weeps) studio version, because there wasn't a beatle that could play as well as Eric.
His career is a long and star studded list, I'm sure he played with more than I know and influenced more than I can imagine

He also played with Delaney and Bonnie when Blind Faith broke up.

I don't know what it is about his playing, but to me he makes the guitar positively speak out through his heart - it's almost as if HIS spirit and heart become one with the guitar. It was an amazing concert and I had never seen him play live before and he exceeded my expectations after 25 years of admiration.

My hubby also scored MAJOR brownie points!!!!!;)

bsaastad
09/30/2006, 12:17 PM
He can also be heard as part of the guitar trio in Carry That Weight off of Abbey Road. He's one of those that you almost have to see live to really appreciate how he can make the guitar sing. Much more emotion flows in concert than practically any of the studio recordings (with the possible exception of the Layla album -- Eric and Duane Allman playing feeding off one another was just magical!)

Glad to hear you enjoyed the show!

Sounds like MY record collection -- never saw The Dan, saw Zeppelin once on their last U.S. tour -- have seen Yes I think close to 20 times now :)

BigSkyBart
10/01/2006, 08:56 AM
This post nearly drove me to the basement to unearth my LP's
(giant black cd's for anyone under 25)

Yes I remember the Delaney & Bonnie (& friends) album that he played on. It's in the vinyl vault with 5-600 others.

ahhhhhhhh memories......

Thanks

dc
10/01/2006, 09:08 AM
Don't let Joey see you have so many. :D

bsaastad
10/01/2006, 12:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8255245#post8255245 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart
This post nearly drove me to the basement to unearth my LP's
(giant black cd's for anyone under 25)

Yeah, I carted around about 600 vinyl records myself for nearly 20 years -- finally tossed most of them. I kept a few that either had collectible covers (for example, the original Street Survivors album by Skynyrd that showed the band in flames and had a tour schedule insert - quickly changed and re-released after the crash) or are unobtainable on CD, but the others just became dead weight. Ahh, well ...

BigSkyBart
10/01/2006, 12:17 PM
I have 2 of that skynyrd album, one still sealed
I dumped several hundred lp's on friends years ago, and should sort what I still have for ebay and dump the rest
Yup lots of dead weight under the staircase

bsaastad
10/01/2006, 12:59 PM
That's cool that you still have a sealed one. I think my favorite collectible is a 45 that my sister gave me by mistake a long time ago. It's The Beatles "Ticket To Ride", but the label says From the film "Eight Arms To Hold You", which was the working title of "Help" prior to release. It isn't worth much 'cuz it's not in perfect condition -- just fun to have.

What I miss about vinyl (probably the ONLY thing) is looking for messages scratched into the disk between the last track and the label. Eagles, Joe Walsh, Jackson Browne and I think some of Linda Ronstadt's had stuff like that. For instance, side 2 of Hotel California says "V.O.L. is 5-piece live", presumably meaning that they recorded Victim of Love as a live studio track. Usually it's just goofy stuff.

Wee Man
10/01/2006, 08:58 PM
*cough* Stevie Ray Vaughan*cough*

BigSkyBart
10/01/2006, 09:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8258832#post8258832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wee Man

Stevie Ray WAS a helluva player, I don't always trust my memory, but it seems to me that the crash that took his life also took a member (or more) of Claptons band
I think I'll google it

BigSkyBart
10/01/2006, 09:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8258832#post8258832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wee Man

Darn, my brain still works!
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/jfiles/files/s1407505.htm

Stevie Ray Vaughan died in a helicopter crash along with 4 others in the early hours of August 27th 1990 in East Troy, Wisconsin. He had just played in front of 30,000 on a bill at an outdoor concert in Alpine Valley with Eric Clapton, his brother Jimmie, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray and Jeff Healey. Together they had all just jammed on stage for the show's encore doing the standard "Sweet Home Chicago". But reports say Stevie Ray stole the show with Clapton just grinning and standing back and Buddy Guy shrugging. Vaughan was flying off to Chicago where they were all staying that night when the helicopter crashed in fog into the side of a ski slope less than a mile from the venue. It occurred about half an hour after the concert. The pilot and 3 of Clapton's road crew were also aboard

dc
10/01/2006, 09:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8258923#post8258923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart
Darn, my brain still works!
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/jfiles/files/s1407505.htm

Will wonders never cease. :D They play a lot of Stevie Ray Vaughan on Sirius.

The Grim Reefer
10/02/2006, 12:08 AM
Clapton is great but he also has a lot of class. I saw an interview with Neil Schown (SP? Guitar player for Journey) talking about getting to play with Clapton when he (schown) was a kid. He said Clapton nodded for him to take the solo, just some kid just starting out.

I was fortunate enough to see one of the ARM benefit concerts where Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page jammed at the end of the show. All three just had a good time playing, no trying to upstage each other. The 2 songs they did was Layla and Stairway to Heaven, Amazing concert.

The Lennon gig Clapton played on was on a album called Live Peace in Toranto.

Billybeau1
10/02/2006, 12:28 AM
OK my turn. :D

I am a retired musician. I do know music. Trust me.

Eric Clapton is the finest guitar player I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. Period.

I've heard and played with many, but no one.........I mean no one......plays a guitar like EC.

He is the "King" of guitar players. Has been and always will be.

I'm done. :D

dkh0331
10/02/2006, 11:08 AM
I'd love to see Clapton again. If so, hopefully I might remember a bit more of the show than when I saw him in the 70's. What I do remember about the 73 show was the opening act was a tap dancer. Just a little old man who came out and tap danced for 30 minutes or so.