PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Lookdowns?

Shekki
09/29/2006, 08:13 PM
My friend is building a house and part of the design is a 300 gallon tank separating the entry from the living room. Since he's spending so much money on the house, a 300 gallon reef is too much for him right now. I thought that a FO tank would be a good way to start. I like the "Chrome" look of the lookdowns but don't know much else about them, except they really eat a lot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robb

billsreef
09/29/2006, 08:27 PM
They eat a lot, grow really big really fast, need lots of swimming room and therefore a big tank such as a 300 ;)

SDguy
09/29/2006, 08:46 PM
A LFS here had couple in, I believe, a 300g tank. Even in such a large tank, this pair would constantly be hitting the sides, eventually showing funny growths on their chins, foreheads, etc. Whether this was because of hitting the glass all the time, I'm not sure. Point is, they really looked uncomfortable in the tank.

king1522
09/29/2006, 09:20 PM
The lfs has some small ones. They look pretty neat. Remind me of the silver dollars I used to keep! They obviously will grow much more than the silver dollas!!!!

C-Water
10/01/2006, 08:16 AM
Back to Shekki's question. So, has anybody ever kept a few?

I've seen them at large displays and curious what they ate and longevity.

Maybe a large cylinder type custom made centerpiece tank is necessary.

Trigga Fish
10/01/2006, 08:26 AM
I'd appreciate any info on it as well. I have a 300 and almost bought a lookdown last weekend. But didn't since I didn't know a lot about them. I've read up on them, but personal experience is good too.

Thanks.

Dave Legacy
10/01/2006, 02:23 PM
If I recall correctly they're sub-tropical.

AdidaKev
10/02/2006, 09:41 AM
Lookdowns are very large, open water fish. IMO, they are best left in the ocean. I saw one in a 900 gallon system once and it still didn't seem like enough room.

sunfishh
10/02/2006, 12:33 PM
I would PM fishfinder. He catches them off Long Isand in the summer when they get pushed up the gulf stream

ctreefer
10/02/2006, 12:42 PM
I saw 8 of them at a nearby fish store last month in a holding tank that was about 120 gallons. They were all large (8-10 inches) and all sold to the same person at $300 a piece. I hope they have a huge tank!!!

JHemdal
10/02/2006, 12:50 PM
I've worked with lookdowns for many years (25+). They grow rapidly, but then hit their maximum size and stop growing (say 16" long). I've lost a few to getting lodged in coral / decorations, and lost some to Cryptocaryon during quarantine - otherwise they are long-lived. Here is a snippet that I wrote about them in my book, "Advanced Marine Aquarium Techniques":

Lookdown Selene vomer Carangidae

A tropical schooling member of the jack family, lookdowns are more suited to life in captivity than are larger species of jack. Their smaller size and smaller mouth indicates that they pose little danger to any but the smallest tankmate. They do require ample swimming room in order to form schools – so an aquarium on the order of 900 gallons would be required to house a half dozen adult lookdowns. They are prone to Cryptocaryon infections when first acquired; they are otherwise hardy and long-lived.

Jay Hemdal