PDA

View Full Version : Fish trap

david86camaro
09/29/2006, 01:03 PM
I need to buy or borrow a fish trap, anyone know of a good place to buy a fish trap.

Mr.Biggs
09/29/2006, 06:00 PM
how big of a fish?
You could try a 2L bottle cut the top off, turn it around and stuff back in to the bottom for lager fish cut the very top off for correct size hole.

Put food the fish eats inside the bottle.
the top should form a funnel to swim in the bottom and it will be hard for it to swim out.

jdallred
09/29/2006, 08:15 PM
Dave, I have a trap you could borrow. Its a large trap, about 12"x4"x6". Let me know if you would like to try it.

clowninaround74
09/29/2006, 11:17 PM
i know quality aqua has them to buy so you dont have to worry about borrowing one. just a thought

david86camaro
09/29/2006, 11:55 PM
I guess that I should have bought one from Quality Aqua when the were almost next door, now I have to go for the drive down there.
That is a good idea using the 2l bottle, but it's a rather large damsil that I need to catch.

steve.t
09/30/2006, 10:54 AM
ok i'm sure this won't be popular and most will disagree , but I though I would offer up what I have been using for a few yrs and has been the best method ...for me. I never had the best of luck with any trap often trapping what I dont want to. I have been using a small hook and line that I got from fly shop. This was a suggestion from a fellow reefer that has saved me so much time and aggravation. I am able to remove a fish in few minutes and have never had any problem with damage or injury to the fish.

freddie40
09/30/2006, 11:30 AM
If it is a large damsel just trim the top of the bottle down until the hole is big enough, then cut the bottle about 3 inches below that. Invert the top section and then you have your tyrap. Works good.

Dave

tkeracer619
09/30/2006, 11:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251676#post8251676 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steve.t
ok i'm sure this won't be popular and most will disagree , but I though I would offer up what I have been using for a few yrs and has been the best method ...for me. I never had the best of luck with any trap often trapping what I dont want to. I have been using a small hook and line that I got from fly shop. This was a suggestion from a fellow reefer that has saved me so much time and aggravation. I am able to remove a fish in few minutes and have never had any problem with damage or injury to the fish.

Did you attach the hook and line to a pole :lol:

I have heard of this and purchased the mentioned non barbed hook. Well I haven't used it but thought about going damsel fishing quite often, but he is in his own tank so..... that would be morally wrong for my to just do if for the fun..... yah know catch and release.

steve.t
09/30/2006, 04:18 PM
its a lot of fun get yoursef a mickey mouse fishing pole , a beach chair and a cold beer