PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Spotted Puffer and clean up crew question.

Fuppets
09/29/2006, 11:18 AM
I have a hawaiian spotted puffer and she sure does a job on my snails. I am about to order another clean up crew and am wondering if she will eat a cucumber or a serpent/brittle star? She doesn't bother the clearer and coral banded shrimp or the hermits, just the snails.

lakehorse61
09/29/2006, 03:40 PM
i have a blue dot puffer that i was told was reef safe(in my earlier days) not!!!! it picked at everything coral wise but not the hermits or snails.
it is now the smallest fish in the pond system. i would not put any hermits unless they were in a 3-4 inch shell. i have two of the large hermits.

of course,huma huma, my cows, dog faces & wrasses would also eat the small cleanup crews - IMO. i also would like to put some sort of sand clean up crew in there. i have little neck clams in my reef which burrow. i have thought about getting some for the pond to keep the sand stirred up. i think they would be ok

SumpDiver
09/29/2006, 04:34 PM
I hear Tiger Cowries are good cleaners for aggressive tanks, because they get too big for the puffers' mouths. I'm having the same problem in an aggressive FOWLER with a Tusk, a Trigger and a Dog Face who love Escargot. I'm not sure where to get these large molusks, but looking into it because I'm tired of replacing Turbos.

Gem Tang Rider
10/01/2006, 06:42 PM
A cuke or large brittle star may be worth a try. Not to expensive either.