PDA

View Full Version : Sorry - got a silly question about RO water

kimha
09/28/2006, 06:13 PM
RO/DI water Guru,

I just installed the Typhoon III RO/DI unit. It was a bit scary because I have no plumbing experience. Luckily, no flooding in the basement yet.

My RO/DI unit came with 2 outlets. one for RO only and one for DI. For FOWLR setup, do I need RO only or DI? What is the benefit of using one over the other?

thanks,
Kimha.

Gem Tang Rider
09/28/2006, 06:23 PM
We use the RO for drinking & the DI for the tanks.

ykh
09/28/2006, 06:25 PM
I only use RO for my reef tank, don' have DI.

DI water is 0 ppm tds while RO will have some tds reading, depends on how hard your tap water is. So, DI water is supposed to be the purest.

IMO, FOWLR setup will be just fine with RO.

kimha
09/28/2006, 09:17 PM
Thank you very much. Since DI has the purer water quality I will use the DI water for my aquarium.

I had my drain outlet hose go into the sink instead of the drain pipe under the sink. So I can actually see the waste water going down the drain. It is like watching money going down the drain:( I wish the waste water can be used for something else instead of going straing down the drain.

RandalB
09/29/2006, 06:47 AM
Sure, You can drink it (it's dechlorinated and micron filtered...), use it to fill the washing machine, water grass or garden, grow orchids or best of all; start an african cichlid tank (they like harder water..). That's just a few I've seen people do over the years....

HTH,
RandalB

kimha
09/29/2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks RandalB. I just found out the system can be set to automatically shut off using a float valve. Is this float valve available locally from Home Depot or local fish store? My RO unit has 1/4" hose.