PDA

View Full Version : Adding limewater now. What else should i use.

flyin2jz
09/28/2006, 03:58 PM
I am not using a reactor anymore and i am adding limewater in my makeup water. I have had some blistering lately and im thinking i am supposed to be adding something else. Isnt limewater adding alk and calc to the tank at the same time. HOpefully someone can get me straight on this. The tank is sps only and is doing fine just not much upward growth just encrusting. thanx Kevin

boxfishpooalot
09/28/2006, 07:10 PM
I have had some blistering lately and im thinking i am supposed to be adding something else

Blistering of your skin? Or somthing else?

Isnt limewater adding alk and calc to the tank at the same time

Yes limewater adds both calcium and alkainty in balanced proportions used by calcifying organisms.

just not much upward growth just encrusting

Any growth is a good sighn. What kind of lighting do you use?

flyin2jz
09/28/2006, 08:40 PM
THanx for the reply. I have 250 w hqi ballasts. I have 2 of the 12k reeflux bulbs on the tank with 2 96w pc on it also. I am just wondering why im not getting any growth tips. Any idea on whats causing the corals to blister. DOesnt seem to bother their growth just looks kinda weird. This is much harder without using a calc reactor like before. thanx again and keep them coming. Kevin

boxfishpooalot
09/28/2006, 08:48 PM
I have 250 w hqi ballasts

Those are pretty good lights. Good par too(photosythetic active radiation) Does it have a uv shield?IIRC Randy uses hqi. How high are the corals that are "blistering"?

Any idea on whats causing the corals to blister
Blister im not familiar with that term, can you describe it? Is it tissue loss? If so generally thats caused by high phosphates/nitrates.

flyin2jz
09/28/2006, 08:52 PM
The coral kinda looks like it has a water blister on it like a bubble filled with water. It looks like it may have something to do with alk levels as i havent checked them. good calc growth in the tank covered with pink. Just cant get the corals to white tip like a growth spurt. thanx for the info. Kevin

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/29/2006, 07:08 AM
Can you post a picture? None of us recognize coral blistering as something we are familiar with.

Have you measured calcium and alkalinity to know if you are dosing an appropriate amount?